PDA

View Full Version : 'Do the shake' - Reed Cormorant

Morkel Erasmus
06-12-2009, 05:44 PM
http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss230/Lekrom777/reedcormorantshaking.jpg

Okay so this is my first 'photo post' on this site. It's been really encouraging seeing the kind of comments and critiques dished out so I would really love to get your inputs into my photography as I'm very keen to grow.

I only started taking photography seriously since January 2009 and have quite meagre gear at this stage, but I'm hoping to learn as much as I can with what I have in order to do the grand equipment justice when I do get it one day :).

This is a Reed Cormorant shaking himself off to bask a bit in the Autumn sun. Taken at Marievale Bird Sanctuary in South Africa. It was quite misty - this was taken as the mist was lifting.

Camera: Canon EOS 1000D
Lens: Canon 100-400mm L IS USM @ 400mm
Aperture: f7.1
SS: 1/400
ISO: 400
Exp Bias: +0.33

Axel Hildebrandt
06-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Welcome to BPN, Morkel! Very nice first post. I like the action captured. I wish the sun would have been behind you for better lighting and it needs a bit more room at the bottom for my taste. The vertical lines in the BG are a bit distracting. Keep them coming!

Ramon M. Casares
06-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Amazing first post, great action, BG, colors and comp IMO.
Light angle is not ideal and maybe fill flash would've helped getting more detail in the shadowed areas.
Congratulations and welcome.

Alfred Forns
06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Big Warm Welcome Morkel

Agree with suggestions The sun angle would have made a difference. I like the action, exposure and overall look !!!

Kobus Tollig
06-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Welcome Lekrom hehe. Great first post. With your attitute you will learn fast here. Great one nits covered

Stu Bowie
06-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Wecome to BPN Morkel. I see you came right with the download. I like the the show of droplets from the shake off, and you have managed to capture some light on the eyes. I agree with Axel, a little more room at the bottom will work.

Morkel Erasmus
06-13-2009, 06:15 AM
thanks very much for the welcome wishes and heartfelt critique everyone! I must've been half asleep processing this since I normally don't make the frame as tight as this at the bottom :)

Arthur Morris
06-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Moving right for light angle and getting as high as possible for a better BKGR would have been the way to go. Sharpest focus seems to be on the end of the stick which looks to be a bit closer to you than the bird's head.

Morkel Erasmus
06-13-2009, 11:16 PM
thanks for your feedback Arthur. this was shot from a hide out over water so nothing to be done about the angle and placement. I see what you mean about the focus.

Arthur Morris
06-14-2009, 05:46 AM
You are both welcome and correct.