PDA

View Full Version : Bearded Vulture

Loukie Viljoen
06-21-2009, 01:55 AM
I have not been photographing for a while things are getting rusty!! and I had to pay my forgotten subshttp://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

Canon EOS ID MK III
ISO 640
Canon 500 mm F4 + 2X TC

Jan Wegener
06-21-2009, 06:47 AM
one of the best shots of thgis species I've seen perched :)

For my feeling a bit tight and some feathers look quite hot, but that's really minor

Daniel Cadieux
06-21-2009, 07:05 AM
Way cool species. The red eye-ring is neat. I like the light you had, and also like the rock and vegetation surroundings. I agree with the image being tight in the frame, and although the whites are not burnt I agree they look warm...the high contrast of the image no doubt affects this - I tried a 5-6 point reduction in contrast in PS and liked the result. For aesthetics I would also clean up the small whitewash spots. Well done!

Kobus Tollig
06-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Ditto all above. Im not a fan of the small rock behind. Still great shot well done on this

Loukie Viljoen
06-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Thanks to all for looking. This is the image with nothing done to it, there is room, but showing the viewers more grass and more stones and more background is not really my way of seeing the subject that I would like to depict for the viewers, in the days where you paid Kodak/Fuji for every square mm of film space you want to use it all, but still to me it is a photo of a Bearded Vulture, with as much I could do to depict it true to nature. Kobus you have been there , try and go and remove the stone, thanks.

Kobus Tollig
06-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Loukie no need for Harshness. Its my opinion....and you could have removed it by either cloning or doing it before you got the shot. .
Still a great Photo

Morkel Erasmus
06-21-2009, 03:41 PM
nits covered. still a great shot of this stunning bird!!

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Great vulture. Love the BG and sharpness. The rock next to the claw is distracting.

Juan Carlos Vindas
06-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Too much PS?

May be but this image deserves it, at least IMO. I just visualized it without the rock and the dark area on the BG and came up with this version.

Arthur Morris
06-21-2009, 05:00 PM
I like JC's repost best for the sharpening of the eye. JC's version would be better with a bit less SAT and a bit less contrast. Good job with the rock my friend.

The bird's head is angled slightly away.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Great repost, Juan Carlos! Great to see one of these birds up close.

Paul Kusmin
06-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Incredible bird, thanks Loukie for sharing it.
I like Juan Carlos's repost without rock, well done both of you.

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Loukie
An incredibly stunning image IMHO. I am happy with or without rock :) and like the full frame version. ALmost perfect head angle too. Well done! :)

Dave Barnes
06-22-2009, 01:28 AM
A nice capture of a great bird.
I must agree it looks better without the rock, but either way it is still a good capture.
Good eye and feather detail. The light was kind to you, what was the time?

Loukie Viljoen
06-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Dave 10:08:29 already a bit late. Juan Carlos thanks for the cloning job, excellent, I think I must first send the images to you. Thanks to all for constructive advice, I appreciate it. It is not often that they sit , that you have the 500mm + tc2x on the camera, so in the excitement of letting all see I may have been a bit remiss with the cloning etc. Thanx once again

Jeni Williams
06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
Super shot Loukie, must admit I almost like the original best with JC's eye!