Canon 40D
Canon 400 5.6
Blubb
1/800
f/5.6
ISO=400
EV=0

LRII-->CS4

I noticed this fellow near a play ground hopping around on a wooden fence. The fence has some slight-markings from a near by school yard, I opted to keep it in a natural state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeff

Bird is really sharp, got a good (very) good bg and I like the head turn. Reds look good. If the bg is no problem might have tried stopping down a little more for dof (feet) About all I could wish for is a natural perch but this is mighty fine !!!! ... would go with a slight crop form the top !!!!

good points by Al and I see the reds much better in this one than cardinal #1.
Might tone down the beak a bit.....nice eye

edit: came back to edit with some hindsight Jeff......I see a lot of red in your image.
I added about 20 points of cyan and move midtone levels down and a local contrast of
USM @ 6/50/0....all very easy and non selective adjustments. Toned down beak a bit too.
Hope you see it as an alternative process
30dcojo.jpg

Last edited:
Dave, thank you for taking the time to show this regal bird in a different light, Well done.

What does USM mean and where do you input the 6/50/0 numbers. I assume in the different boxes in levels screen, can you give me a fast fly-by of what when & where - nice work.

Jeff, USM stands for Unsharp Mask.....the 3 numbers are for amount/radius/threshold.
I often use 6/50/0 for light effect and 12/50/0 for stronger effect. It is termed local
contrast enhancement.....also used as a clarifying tool.

Bets to Google this for more detail.....I am not good with explanations of this nature.
Thanks for comment

Thanks Stuart, it is hot here (every where) and the heat index has been around 107. Hence, I have been visiting my old haunts and the Card's were posing that day.

I appreciate the king words, the Cardinal is still one of the most regal and handsome birds IMO.

Latest posts

Back