Dawn Patrol - #2000th post

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Randy Stout

Avian Moderator
Staff member
Birds LoonsDSC_2106-20090827_2635- Lk. Nettie #4 dawn flap D2 DSC_2106.jpg

This loon was swimming with a group of seven adults predawn on a northern Michigan lake. It is fun to watch how these groups interact. Mated pairs tend to be very territorial, but these impromptu meetings often go on for a bit, but often end with some dramatic displays. Besides this type of flapping pose, there is often rowing, where they propel themselves across the water by dipping their wing tips into the water. They can go quite quickly.

D700 500mm f/4 @f/5 1/640s ISO 1250 Pedestal mounted Wimberley, sitting on the bottom of the boat.

Comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Congratulations on the milestone and great image! I like the pose, sharpness, angle, light and monochromatic feel.

Congratulations,
I like the head-on pose and the spreaded wings, sharpness and angle.

Congrats and thanks for the helpful critiques. Neat pose and I also like the silvery look of the image.

Hey Randy, congrats on your milestone. Your knowledge and input has been inspiring throughout. You couldnt have positioned yourself any better for this. Perfect headon, and love the symmetry. Good detail and exposure, and centrally placed was the only way to go. Congrats.

Good one to mark the milestone Randy. Congrats on the 2000.
Super exposure and I like the silver water nd detail in the light coloured feathers.

Hello Randy,

Congrats for the milestone. Most i love about the image is the HA and the wing spread. For the rest I think you are a great asset to BPN. Your critics are always constructive and interesting to read...you really look at the pictures and have a meaning. Thank you for being here and share your thoughts, knowledge and observation with all of us. I have learned a lot from you.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. BPN is a great place to learn and grow, and I am happy to be able to participate and help others, as I have been helped.

Cheers

Randy

Latest posts

Back