PDA

View Full Version : Killdeer

arash_hazeghi
09-24-2009, 05:33 AM
http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/kill%20deer%20bpn.jpg

50D + 400 f/5.6 1/1000sec f/8 ISO 400. Hope you like it.

Here I repost a 2nd version based on Artie's comments

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/kill%20deer%202.jpg

Morkel Erasmus
09-24-2009, 06:26 AM
pin sharp Arash. the low angle makes it special - I especially like the foot lifting up in the thick mud. some noise in the tail feathers that could be cleaned up. BG colour is sweet! it seems to me the head is turned ever-so-slightly away from the 90-degree plane? it might just be the lack of sleep :)

Lana Hays
09-24-2009, 06:30 AM
Arash
Nice detail.....love the mud. I'm thinking a bit of a head turn would really be nice.....but then they don't always cooperate when you really want it. It looks a tad washed out.....but I'm on a small laptop at school so I may be off base with that one. Well done.

Daniel Cadieux
09-24-2009, 06:36 AM
This guy's plumage looks rather worn - tough breeding season! You got a great low angle here - but too bad that small clump of mud had to be there right in front of the legs. Pleasing water colour. Harsh light and light angle certainly weren't in your favor, and yes the HA could be slightly more towards us. A would eliminate the second (lower) catchlight.

Harshad Barve
09-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Lovely pose , cool details & awesome BG ,
TFS

Arthur Morris
09-24-2009, 08:10 AM
Howdy Arash,

Like the pose and the good EXP but my big concern here is that the bird looks as if it were cut out and pasted... Did you do some type of work on the bird or the BKGR that involved making a selection???

Axel Hildebrandt
09-24-2009, 09:39 AM
The angle and eye contact look good. Adding to the other comments, did you run NR on the bird, there seems to be a lack of fine detail. I would also tone down the highlights.

Stu Bowie
09-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Super angle, and the exposure looks good to me. I can see where the others are coming from regarding the feather detail. In some areas, it looks nice and sharp, and in others, around the neck, especially the band on the neck looked like some NR got mixed up there. Ceretainly pops from the BG well enough.

arash_hazeghi
09-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi guys,
Thanks for your comments, I did not change or mask the BG, nor did I apply any NR on the bird, here is what the 100% crop looks like from raw. Light was actually low angle but there arr some shadows I pulled up.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/IMG_2798.jpg

Arthur Morris
09-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi guys, Thanks for your comments, I did not change or mask the BG, nor did I apply any NR on the bird, here is what the 100% crop looks like from raw. Light was actually low angle but there arr some shadows I pulled up.

Thanks. Did you run any NR on the BKGR? Did you sharpen the bird only or the whole image?

arash_hazeghi
09-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Hi Artie,
This is what I did to the TIFF which I exported from DPP.

1) crop
2) clone out some of the mud in LRH
3) Do small shadow highlight
4) Select BG by color range, contract by 1 pixel and feather by 1 pixel, apply Gaussian blur strength 1.1
5) resize to 1024 pixels, smart sharpen (80,0.4) shadow fade amount 16
6) another round of smart sharpen (40, 0.5) shadow fade amount 0.

I was careful not to create halos around the bird but maybe I did(?)

Arthur Morris
09-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Arash, Ah, so you did make a selection of the BKGR. You have created a wide light halo around the bird and a thin halo right on the edge of the bird especially along the top of the head. I am not sure which operations caused the problems but I am seeing both the wide and the narrow halos. Maybe I am nuts; what are the rest of you seeing?

Dave Phillips
09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks Arash,........... but I am seeing both the wide and the narrow halos. Maybe I am nuts; what are the rest of you seeing?
I see a huge lightened off color halo area extending about 1/4"+ from bird on my monitor

arash_hazeghi
09-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks Artie,
I will reprocess the photo and post it again, it's probably from the highlight shadow as the lightened areas bleed into the darker BG. I never noticed.

Thanks again.

Arsdel Fluesmeier
09-24-2009, 08:53 PM
A well detailed shot of a Killdeer. The detail is very good.
A better head turn would have been nice but one can't h ave everything,.

arash_hazeghi
09-25-2009, 05:09 AM
I posted a new version with no HLS and only one pass of SSH.

Arthur Morris
09-25-2009, 06:58 AM
I posted a new version with no HLS and only one pass of SSH.

Please post it here. I am not seeing the new version.... Thanks.

arash_hazeghi
09-25-2009, 07:02 AM
I posted right below original one for comparison, here it is again.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/kill%20deer%202.jpg

Arthur Morris
09-25-2009, 07:24 AM
I posted right below original one for comparison, here it is again.

Neat trick! I never thought to look up. Whatever you did eliminated both halos. Way to go.

Ákos Lumnitzer
09-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Great work Arash! As said, not ideal HA, but the mud and clean appearance overall makes this for me. :)