PDA

View Full Version : Red-browed Finch

Paul Randall
10-24-2009, 05:56 PM
A species that is hard to capture on a clean perch. Fairly common but not very trusting.
For obvious reasons they are also commonly known as wax bills.
Thanks for looking, Paul Randall

Camera Canon 5D
Lens 400mm f5.6 L
ISO 200
Metering Mode Evaluative
Exposure Mode AV
Exposure Compensation -2/3
Shutter Speed 1/200
Aperture 5.6
AF/MF Mode AF
Tripod Handheld
Flash 430 speedlite
Flash Settings 0

Arthur Morris
10-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Nice pose and perfect head angle. The perch over-powers the bird a bit with its size. The reds of the bill and the eye line could be toned down a bit. See the REDucation thread in the Educational Resources Forum. It looks as if the eye could use a bit of Eye Doctor work and the face and the bill could use a bit of selective sharpening.

Arthur Morris
10-24-2009, 06:48 PM
PS: Thanks a ton Paul for your membership support.

Gal Shon
10-24-2009, 07:18 PM
A good looking bird, on my monitor it seems that the eye / face are not the sharpest part of the bird.
I like the HA, colors, BG and pose.
Agree with Artie regarding the Perch.

Harshad Barve
10-24-2009, 09:08 PM
lovely looking bird , nice sharpness and exposure
TFS

Paul Randall
10-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the comments. I seem to have trouble with reds so I will definitely check out the REDucation discussion. I agree about the perch but best photo yet of this species. I'll keep trying I guess.
Focus point was on the birds shoulder so I was lucky that the eye and had any sharpness at all.
Thanks again for comments,

PS: Thanks a ton Paul for your membership support.

No worries, having a ball on here and enjoying all the feedback as well as educational resources.

Cheers, Paul Randall

arash_hazeghi
10-25-2009, 03:09 AM
Very nice photo, techs are spot on and Artie nailed the details.

Stu Bowie
10-25-2009, 03:21 AM
Busy little characters, and I like the detail and colours. Good DOF too. Well captured Paul.

Rob Drummond
10-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Nice one Paul, I reckon the reds are only just over. I know how you feel about the perch. All those lovely fine twigs and vertical grass stems but no...... straight to a solid bough.

cheers
Rob

Gerard Satherley
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Very nice Paul. Good head turn, pose and background. You've done well, as they are tricky little devils to get into the open.