One Mean Snowy

• Thread starter Michael Pancier
  • Start date
BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

M

Michael Pancier

4147032712_e4671d9ae6_o.jpg

Taken at Sanibel Pier. This is one of those times that even 200mm was too much lens. I had a lot of empty space behind the bird so I cropped it. It is tight on the top and I clipped part of the wing tip

However, I loved the pose and got the fish in mouth too. I know Artie had a tutorial some time ago on fixing the wing tip which was clipped -- can't find it though. Any suggestions on adding canvas and a wing fix here?

7d + 70-200 2.8L @ 200mm
f/5.6
1/6400
ISO 400
-1 Ev

I really like the open wings and how the head is isolated by the bg. If you allow it I would think about adding some canvas and cloning in the clipped feather..look like an easy enough job. They sure fill the frame quickly don't they?

Michael: Great capture. I think I photographed this same Snowy on the Fishing Pier last Friday morning, and had the same problem -- he kept wanting to fill up the frame. But I didn't manage the fish and the eye contact that you have. Nicely done!

Snowy.jpg

Hi Micheal, First I love the image. The pose is very appealing. Robert O'Toole's APTATS is a great tool and learning for things like fixing a clipped wing. I hope you do not mind but I gave your image a quick to at adding a bit more room on the top and fixing the wing tip. I also lighten the image a little perhaps a little too much? Thanks for sharing this lovely image.

_-_-A-A-SN-EGRimpr.jpg

Well, Phil beat me to the punch. Adding the wingtip with Robert's APTATS I techniques is a snap. I took the second primary, created a QM, and then transformed and warped it to fit. As close examination of both Phil's and my versions shows, the biggest problem is creating the new canvas on the right.... It would take a very lot of work to do it really well. We have APTATS I in the store and APTATS II will be here in about ten days.

thanks Phil and Artie. I'm think I'm gonna order the APTATS. Is II an update of I or a vol. II continuation?

Michael I think they are different, just have the same name. If you know how to do a QM (Quick Mask), it is really an easy fix. Like the second post BTW with the full wings. Great wingspread.

Thanks all. Actually, I got a bit sloppy with the BKGR around the added wingtips.

APTATS II contains totally new tutorials that deal with Layer Masks rather than Quick Masking techniques. I am still learning the former!

Latest posts

Back