PDA

View Full Version : How Lucky Can You Get?

Arthur Morris
12-17-2009, 09:33 PM
My first visit to Barnegat this afternoon and bingo!

Canon 800mm f/5.6 L IS lens with a 1.4X II TC and the EOS-1D Mark III. ISO 800. Evaluative metering +2/3 stop: 1/250 sec. at f/8 set manually. One-shot AF and recompose with the central AF sensor.

For a primer on safety while photographing from rock jetties in winter, see tonight's blog post here: www.birdsasart-Blog.com (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/)

Ilija Dukovski
12-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Very lucky indeed. I love the visible foot here. I don't see the feet of these guys too often.
The bird is fantastic of course.

I liked your text on safety on jetties too. Quite complete guide.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I like the seaweed setting and head angle. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow.

Harshad Barve
12-17-2009, 10:24 PM
lovely setting and HA here , nice to see feets , another beautiful image Guruji
TFS

Rodney Flowers
12-17-2009, 11:25 PM
Wow, I would love to get a picture of a Harlequin Duck. Great pose! I still have a lot to learn, but I am wondering if maybe it would be better to darken the light white area at top of the photo a little more. Probably not a big deal, but it seems to keep drawing my attention.

Kiran Poonacha
12-18-2009, 01:09 AM
Loved the perfect HA here guru, also like the feet showing well, nice details and comp too... congrats..

Kim Rollins
12-18-2009, 01:25 AM
Very nice capture here. Wonderful stance and well done.

I am inclined to agree with Rocky and his suggestion to darken the light white area at top of the photo a little more. Easily done with a bit of marque selection, grad. filter adjustment and brush tool on the mask. As here for example -

Paul Lagasi
12-18-2009, 02:03 AM
I like the rocks covered in seaweed, pose, head angle, can't comment on color this monitor is bad..last year I never managed to see one out of the water..have a great time at get-together..wish I was there...

Ákos Lumnitzer
12-18-2009, 03:15 AM
That's one good looking duck Artie! Love the setting. I am happy with the top either way. Regarding the safety aspect on rocks in and around the sea, when I was younger and did a lot of rock fishing off Sydney, wearing metal plates on the soles of my sandals was the minimum safe practice as the plates would cut through the slippery stuff and grab the sandstone. Of course, these kinds of shoes were not good on all rock surfaces. Further south, people would never wear them as there are different rocks and wearing the metal on the soles would be suicidal as they would not help. Maybe there is something that could be implemented to help in your region?

Raymond Barlow
12-18-2009, 04:01 AM
very nice sharpness and details Artie, I like the composition a lot, and it really looks like a tough shot to process, well done.

Mike Tracy
12-18-2009, 08:30 AM
I have a pair of fishing shoes made with thick felt soles. They enable me to navigate the trout rivers and rocky banks effortlessly and safely while fly fishing at our place in MT. Should work fine in that environment as well.

Nice find on the duck. Hope you get another chance at him.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-18-2009, 10:40 AM
Nice shot Artie. This must be one of the toughest ducks to expose properly. Liked the pose a lot and the droplets on the body.

denise ippolito
12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Artie, It's not easy to get one of these on the rocks. Nice composition and details. Luck and lots of skill:)

Bill Dix
12-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Artie - A nice image of a handsome duck. Glad that you were able to make it to Barnegat and that the harlequins re-appeared for you. I agree with Rodney about toning down the brightness of the BG. Thanks for the primer on jetty safety. Although the jetty rocks at Barnegat are relatively flat, some are indeed extremely slippery, especially beyond the edge of the beach where the jetty is exposed on both sides. Some of the fishermen wear crampons. Thanks for sharing the image, and be safe!

susanschermer
12-18-2009, 10:53 PM
OK, Artie - here's my humble opinion. this is not one of your best images. Obviously it is a species you feel lucky to find, but there are so many things against you. The light looks really flat and doesn't show the bird at its' best, the fault with the BG has been mentioned and, to boot, the shoal under the bird's feet detracts. If you keep at it you might get good at this.:p