PDA

View Full Version : Gatorland Great Blue Heron

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2010, 11:45 AM
From December 11, 2009, lots of great action including flight. This beautiful Great Blur Heron stood still long enough for a vertical pano. Overcast conditions made for a great afternoon.

See the January update in the Southeast Region section for info on Gatorland at http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54133.

Canon 1D Mark III
Canon 600mm f/4 IS
1/400 @ f/4
ISO 800
no flash
Manual Mode

Randy Stout
01-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Robert:

Lovely feather display here, well exposed. The reflection looks so good because of the smooth water, wish you had it all.

The water is nice. Might consider a bit more room, top and left.

To my eye, the sharpening is right on the edge of too much, as I am seeing some jagged lines in the fine feathers.

Lovely overall.

Randy

Robert Amoruso
01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Randy,

Might be on the sharpening. I usually don't pay too much attention on USM for JPGS when posting.

This is a vertical pano from two landscape images so that is all I have left and right. Bottom is as low as I went since the was other stuff there that was not appealing. I cropped on the top because the extra room did not appeal to me. I like this comp with a square crop.

Thanks for your comments - greatly appreciated.

Bill Dix
01-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Beautiful colors and feather detail. I love the neck plumes just touching their reflection. Personal preference, I know, but I would have cropped just a bit less at the top. In any event, a handsome image.

Michael Wolf
01-23-2010, 05:58 PM
GBH images are a dime a dozen but this one is worth a whole lot more!!
Outstanding capture & comp. Perfect really.