PDA

View Full Version : our provincial bird

John Chardine
02-10-2010, 07:14 PM
As you probably know, each province in Canada and state in the US has its own representative bird (and flower). This is ours for New Brunswick- the ubiquitous and delightful Black-capped Chickadee, known in Europe as a "tit". Where they are fed and used to people they are trusting and will alight on your open palm and steal sunflower seeds. For the photographer they present some challenges- they are essentially black and white and therefore high-contrast; and they move at lightening speed and never sit still. Soft light works best for them and you just have to be prepared to jump on the shutter release when they stop for a split-second.

I evened the BG with some dodge and burn, cropped and ran NR on the BG, and sharpened as usual.

Comments welcome!

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV, 500mm f4
capture date: 10 February 2010
exposure program: Manual
ISO speed: 800
shutter speed: 1/640
aperture: f5.0
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF
tripod mounted on Mongoose

Paul Kusmin
02-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Sweet shot John, i love how one is immediately drawn to the eye, the BG is pleasing and the image is sharp where it needs to be.
A bit more of the bird's tail would be my only critique.
I don't usually do square crops but i don't mind it here, quite nice.

Steve Maxson
02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
A very apt description of the bird and the challenges of photographing it, John. (I know from painful experience. :) ) Very sharp around the head and good exposure. As an alternate crop, you might consider taking a little more off the left.

Jackie Schuknecht
02-10-2010, 08:25 PM
The picture looks soft and sharp at the same time. Nice sharp eye and good exposure . One of my favourite birds John.

John Chardine
02-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Pretty narrow DoF Jackie- f5 at closest focus. I sometimes like that soft look.

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Such a sweet image and the BG is just awesome in this capture. Really like this one a lot John !!

Paul Lagasi
02-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Our most common bird....but when captured properly a beautiful subject...Well Done John