PDA

View Full Version : Siberian Jay

Ivan Sjögren
02-23-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi, this photo is taken in the northern parts of Sweden. Its a very curious specie, and this bird came with four others screaming and jumping from branch to branch when we ate our lunch. I guess it's just like the Grey Jay in America.
I could get pretty close and thats when I took this pic, hope you like it! :)

Canon 400D with 70-300 1:4-5.6 IS USM
ISO 400
1/200sek
f/5.6

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6806/lavskrikatophotopage.jpg

John Haig
02-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Nice bird..from what I've read they are very similar in behavior to our Gray Jay.

There seems to be a lack of sharpness in the tail and I would probably crop to a vertical image and eliminate the out of focus elements on the right side of the image if it were mine. The pose works really well for me...typical inquisitive jay posture.

Scott Frye
02-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Agree with John's comments and the bird looks like he is banded -- nicely colored background

Marina Scarr
02-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Your background is absolutely stunning and your exposure looks very good. I am not sure whether this photograph was cropped. If you have enough room on top, you may wish to consider a vertical crop. I would crop just a little off of the left to remove the spot on the edge. I would also sharpen only the bird's head just a little more. I really love the bird's head angle here. It's quite unique.

It's nice to see a species with which we in the US are unfamiliar. Thanks for sharing.

Marina

Daniel Cadieux
02-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Great looking bird...I love the rusty wash on this guy's olive plumage! Nice pose, very inquisitive. Too bad the stuff in LRC is OOF (and weird bokeh to boot) as I like the balance it offers to the comp. You could also crop a tiny bit at left...just enough to hide the roundish protrusion at left edge. Critical focus seems to be on the wings.

I guess it's just like the Grey Jay in America.

Sure sounds like it from the behaviour you explain! Even the banding is a similar situation to our Gray Jays, well at least in Algonquin Park where most if not all of them have been banded to study their decline in numbers.