PDA

View Full Version : Nest Building Pileated

andrewhuxman
04-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Caught this Male making this years nest , was quite a sight to see and hear.

7D-500MM
1/1000th
F 7.1
ISO 400
Center weighted,-1/3 EC
AV mode
Tripod , IS off

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t47/ahuxman58/_MG_1686.jpg

Arthur Morris
04-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Pretty sharp with a good EXP and great timing to catch a load of wood chips on the way out but the filtered off angle light is quite problematic. A lot of flash always helps in sunny conditions especially when part of the subject is shaded. the text on your image is so large as to be very distracting. Lastly, losing the twig in the ulc would be a good plan.

Julie Kenward
04-01-2010, 08:26 PM
I think the action is great (you caught more than I did!) but I do find myself wishing his head was just a little further out of the hole so I could really see him better.

andrewhuxman
04-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you Art, I appreciate the comments. I never even thought about using flash I know that my watermark is distracting and the twig should definitely go (didnt even notice it) , I was so excited about my capture.Thank you again as I have learned so much from this siite and the wealth of info from all the great photographers here,as I lurk in the background mostly reading and learning.

Arthur Morris
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
You are most welcome. I remember how exciting it is to see this bird excavating a nest. I saw it once about 20 years ago and I got so excited that my flash blew up and caught fire!

Steve Canuel
04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Great timing on the wood chips. I don't mind the shadowed hole but also wish his head had come out just a tiny bit more.

Charles Glatzer
04-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Good timing to catch the wood chips. I think a vertical crop or shot would put more emphasis on the bird and less on the tree trunk. As mentioned...flash would help even out the lighting.

Best,

Chas

andrewhuxman
04-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Wow Art.... you blew up a flash, never seen a flash explode and catch fire before, Charles I am going to do a Vertical crop and see how it looks thanks for the idea. I have a 2:38 video that I took with the 7D first attempt at video hope its ok to link it here .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGAvyb4s2LQ