PDA

View Full Version : Black Faced Grosebeak

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
This was taken in the rainforest near La Selva. I found exposure challenging as the lighting is very different from what we have here in Florida. Although it was a challenge it was most interesting and I really enjoyed the beautiful foliage and flowering shrubs that were to be seen wherever we looked. A gorgeous place !!!!

Nikon D3
Nikon 500 mm F4
ISO 640
1/100, F 7.1
manual

All comments are appreciated and many thanks.

Randy Stout
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Judy:

A very appealing image, like the bird/berry combo. The birds pose really makes me think he is checking out something in the canopy.

I might burn in the orange in the RLC, and tone down the reflection off the leaf right below the birds foot.

My first impression was to crop down a bit from the top, but the more I look at it, I like the story of him looking up, so would probably leave.

I think the bill/head area could be a bit sharper.

Cheers

Randy

PS; The rainforest is why we have the D3/D3S, best high ISO cameras in the world. (IMHO)

Greg Basco
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Judy, I think you handled the light very well here. I like the pose and love the BG. Randy has good suggestions for improvement but it's a nice image. I agree with Randy that high ISO (even on Canon cameras :)!) has been a boon to the rainforest photographer.

Cheers,
Greg

arash_hazeghi
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Cool perch and pose and nice BG. great colors too. Feathers just a bit soft, I would have cranked up the ISO to 3200 or 6400 for higher ss here. TFS

Doug Brown
05-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Hi Judy. I'm loving your Costa Rica images! I like the pose here, and also the included habitat. I would probably crop a little off the right, the bottom, and the left. The rainforest certainly is a challenging place to photograph! I probably would have opened up the aperture and bumped the ISO to gain a bit of shutter speed (the bird seems slightly OOF). I would likely also have used some fill flash. Thanks for sharing!

stuart wanuck
05-05-2010, 06:21 PM
good job judy very nice image

Joe Senzatimore
05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Very nice image. love the way the colors of the perch and bird compliment each other.

Stu Bowie
05-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Judy, its seems shooting in forests are trying circumstances, so you have done well here. I like the pose, and the yellows on the bird, and I would only take a bit off the bottom.