Spoonbill

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Stu Bowie

Lifetime Member
IMG_2083bpn.jpg

I dont have many spoonbill images in my files, so I was happy to get this on my last visit to the Pilanesberg nature reserve two weekends ago. The BG is an OOF mountain.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/2000
F/6.3
ISO 800

Exp Comp +0.67
Hand Held

Stuart:

Whenever I see one of these, it always makes me think someone stuck a US. spoonbills head on a sandhill crane.
Nice techs, comp,like the shadow.
The BG is nice, but I might be tempted to try a version with slightly lower brightness, to help the bird pop more. It is nice as is, just an option.

Cheers

Randy

I thought it was a Sandhill Crane when I looked at the thumbnail! The bird looks great. I'd like to see a repost with Randy's BG suggestion.

IMG_2083bpn1.jpg

Thanks a stack for all your feedback guys. Unfortunately, we dont have Sandhill Cranes in this part of the world. Here is my repost with the BG toned down as per Randy's suggestion.

Last edited:
Your repost rocks mate. The bird is nicely separated from a killer Mankwe BG. They've got small eyes but you still managed to get a nice glint.

Awesome comp and bg. Bird is well exposed with great detail in the whites. Well done Stu !

Wing position, sharpness and BG look very good and the repost is an improvement. I might lighten the shadow on the far wing. Is this bird dirty? I thought they were white. :)

Beautiful flight image and the detail is awesome as well the flight pose and BG. A real winner Stuart !!!!:)

Latest posts

Back