PDA

View Full Version : Fiery-throated and bromeliad

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Hello everybody!

First of all I want to apologize for my lack of participation, I've been a little busy with some projects and have had little time for photography.

Today I want to share with you this image of a Fiery-throated Hummingbird (endemic to CR and western Panama). Greg Basco inspired me to photograph in a way of not just present the bird itself but to add some of its habitat, well, I found this perch on the ground (I did not cut anything!) I believe that this features a perch that is very different to others I have used in the past. The size of this hummer is about 4'', so the size of the bromeliad next to it is fairly small. I also believe the moss, lichens and other epiphytes growing on it adds to the story of the image which I believe depicts the wet and cold habitat where this species lives. (highlands of Talamanca Cordillera, in fact I shot this image at an estimated elevation of 9,600f).

Canon 30D
Canon 300mm f/4 @f/4.5
ISO 320
SS 1/125sec.
Exp. comp. 2/3
Metering mode: Spot
No flash
Tripod
Full Frame
I worked the image in LR but applied sharpening and resizing in PS. I still don't trust LR sharpening tool.
I was tempted to clone one highlight on the eye, but it makes the eye look funky.

As always your comments and critiques are always welcome.:)

JC

Arthur Morris
09-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Very loverly with a sweet perch and a beautiful bird. Good head angle and d-o-f and good detail in the dark tones of the hummer. Was the perch set up near a feeder?

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Hello Arthur!

Yes, I placed the perch very close to the feeder, it was just a matter of time for the bird to use it.

Thank you for your comment. Saludos.

Tony Whitehead
09-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Great result JC. I think the perch with moss and bromeliad are lovely and combine beautifully with BG and plumage. Well planned and executed.

Michael Hogan
09-21-2010, 02:49 AM
Juan carlos, fabulous shot. Love the perch, colours, BG. Amazing result at that sutter speed. I would liked to have a little more d-o-f as the back is a bit soft but I know that would not have been possible. RTW I also use Lightroom and the sharpening in version 3 is much better than previous version and I rarely use anything else now.

Really, really image

TFS

Michael

RAM MALLYA
09-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Truly amazing capture lovely perch HA BG

Greg Basco
09-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi, Juan Carlos. Great job. I love the fact that it's full-frame, and the bromeliad just adds a ton of interest to this portrait. I'm so glad my advice paid off. Was this at Eddie Serrano's place? I've talked with them about getting up there to do mutli-flash for this species but just haven't had the time.

Congrats on a fine image,
Greg Basco

Arthur Morris
09-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Hello Arthur! Yes, I placed the perch very close to the feeder, it was just a matter of time for the bird to use it. Thank you for your comment. Saludos.

Thanks JC; that's what I figgered :)

Xavier Maessen
09-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Lovely capture, with great colors & sharpness and perfect DOF. Juan Carlos, you're right about the perch and the epiphytes, it adds a lot to the atmosphere. Great!

Xavier

James Salywoda
09-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Gorgeous bird and shot Juan very nicely done the colors are beautiful.

denise ippolito
09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Juan, Nice to see you posting. Lovely sharp details and interesting perch. Nicely done.