PDA

View Full Version : Project: Birds in Habitat - A Pine warbler in a pine tree

Brian Grant
09-24-2010, 09:38 PM
http://photocamel.com/gallery/data/1543/medium/WARBLER_Pine_-_Dendroica_Pinus_3182a_web.jpg

Joerg Rockenberger
09-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I myself don't have a good idea yet as for what constitutes a good Bird in Habitat image. But I am concerned the shooting angle, the almost merging of a ??? with the bird's head and the small portion of the bird in the frame may doom this image in this particular category.

I like the exposure and apparent sharpness though. Best, JR

Brian Grant
09-25-2010, 04:52 AM
I'm not too sure myself. I tend to come here to look at the pictures and get IDs through the "OH YEAH, that's what that bird is" method.

I generally prefer to take pictures of birds which contain significant amount of habitat. I consider myself more of a nature than bird photographer. Someone once referred to one of my pictures as a birdscape since the bird did not dominate the frame and the picture didn't have enough scope to make it a landscape.

The object almost touching the head of the bird is a pine needle

Connie Mier
09-25-2010, 06:25 AM
If only that bird had been facing more toward you, although I think you did a great job getting the bird sharp and well exposed. The oof branch is distracting, a difficult setting for a clean shot, for sure.

Brian Grant
09-25-2010, 03:15 PM
If only that bird had been facing more toward you, although I think you did a great job getting the bird sharp and well exposed. The oof branch is distracting, a difficult setting for a clean shot, for sure.

Thanks for the comment.

Warblers are rotten little birds that hide behind leaves and hop around all the time.

Then, when you finally do get a picture of them it takes forever to figure out which warbler it is. Not as bad as peeps perhaps but difficult nonetheless.:D

Arthur Morris
09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes to sharp and a good EXP but after that it is all down hill :) You needed the bird 20 feet lower down on a clean branch. Check out Alan Murphy's Blue-winged Warbler image above. He attracts the birds into photographic range and puts attractive perches up by his water drip pond.

Brian Grant
09-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I don't bait birds. I don't stage scenes. I shoot what I see in nature and like to keep the nature in the picture.

Arthur Morris
09-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Obviously your choice. I was trying to be helpful. For birds in habitat type images both the bird and the habitat need to be pleasing to the eye.....