Norm Dulak
12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Nikon D7000
Nikkor 300mm f/4 w/1.4x tc
ISO Equiv. 640
f/11.0 @ 1/250 sec, on beanbag
MM -0.33
PP mild Denoise 4, usual PS CS5 adjustments, and modest cropping

I understand why so many photographers make the pilgrimage to Bosque, to attend workshops and photo tours. But those of us who reside on Maryland's Eastern shore have some pretty good photographic prospects too. And we don't have to travel so far.

In fact, the image I've posted here was captured in a field across the road from my home, and I could easily have walked there. But because automobiles often make good wildlife blinds, I drove the short distance to the field, parked, lowered my window and enjoyed the view. And what I saw were many thousands of snow geese grazing the field.

Choosing what to photograph and what lens to use was not easy. One could focus on the thousands of geese that sometimes take flight with a mighty roar of wings and cries, only to land nearby. But when I see that spectacle, I am usually too awed to react. And I've learned that such spectacles, which thrill the human spirit, are often not captured well by the camera. So I chose here to focus on some geese more close-up, as they went about the business of grazing the field.

I like this image, because of the range of colors and textures presented, the various stages of development of the geese, and the grassy rewards some of the grazing geese have snagged. And I especially enjoy the goose looking at the camera, which seemed to wonder what I was doing.

What do you think about this image?

Norm

Paul Lagasi
12-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Norm, I've seen thousands of these geese but never a Dark-Morph immature in this plumage very nice capture. Sometimes the sheer numbers of these birds is over whelming...it exceess 5 million birds in North America. Thanks for sharing this image.

Nancy Bell
12-16-2010, 08:14 PM
I understand your thoughts exactly. And at times the camera cannot capture the sheer magnitude of beauty and behavior of birds (or mammals, or flowers, etc.). But...we try :)! I like the image and if one could pick up and move a few birds like a large family portrait I would prefer the goose on the right, with his bill hidden not be there at all. And likewise the goose on the left behind the light gray one. One could then concentrate on the 4 geese looking left and balanced by the cool one looking straight at you.

Arthur Morris
12-16-2010, 09:00 PM
Norm, When they blast off, try some really slow shutter speeds. Excellent point raised by Nancy.

Norm Dulak
12-17-2010, 07:39 AM
I understand your thoughts exactly. And at times the camera cannot capture the sheer magnitude of beauty and behavior of birds (or mammals, or flowers, etc.). But...we try :)! I like the image and if one could pick up and move a few birds like a large family portrait I would prefer the goose on the right, with his bill hidden not be there at all. And likewise the goose on the left behind the light gray one. One could then concentrate on the 4 geese looking left and balanced by the cool one looking straight at you.

Thanks Nancy for the comments. Don't think I didn't wish for a cleaner view of the more interesting characters. But this is the best I could do; with so many birds, distracting individuals really can't be avoided.

And thanks Artie for your suggestion. I really have to try that.

Norm