Theme- eye level- Semipalmated Plover juvi

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

John Chardine

20100919_155307_SEPL_0405.jpg

This image was made near Percé, Quebec, on Cap d'Éspoir beach. The cliffs are red there and the sand has this beautiful pink tone. For this image I just needed to kneel down rather than lay flat on the sand. With a long lens and a reasonably distant subject, the angle is pretty close to horizontal doing it this way. I have to say for me getting low on a beach for shorebirds is the best bird photography gets.

I cropped to about 40% of original size, straightened, and evened out a few diffuse OOF spots in the BG. Standard sharpening on the bird.

Date: 19 September, 2010, Time: 1553h
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x, 700 mm
Program: Manual
ISO 800, 1/400s, f/7.1
Exp. comp.: 0.0
Flash: off

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shot John, but you faked me out with the title! I was looking forward to a sandpiper not a plover! Love the BG, sharpness and HA!

Whoops! I'll have the subject changed! I do make that mistake occasionally and I had Semi Sandpipers on the beach that day too! I'll post one next!

Last edited:
What a lovely SemiPlo (my favorite shorebird), and a gorgeous beach. Sure beats lying on your belly in a wet snowbank. Beautiful image.

Very nice low shooting angle John. Good exposure and sharpness. Dof achieved works great here. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Latest posts

Back