PDA

View Full Version : Barn Swallow

Craig Brelsford
04-24-2011, 09:52 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:UseFELayout/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I know, I know, I got cement for my background. Welcome to eastern China, where birds are many but pristine landscapes are few. In any case, my barn swallows weren't minding. A nice flock of them were using the concrete embankment near the East China Sea as a rest stop as they migrated north. The swallows' spot was right along the road. Fellow BPN'er Asif Khan pulled his car up, and I waited in the back seat. I found I got my best results when I began shooting just before the swallows took to the air. The key was to read them carefully and start shooting at just the right moment. I took this shot today, Easter Sunday.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal Length: 600mm
Aperture: F/4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/3200
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +0.33
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 2000
Subject Distance: 8.9 m
Photoshoppery: As is my wont, substantial noise reduction on OOF BG. Sharpening of parts in focus. I coaxed out more light around the eye of the swallow and cooled down that spot on the flank.

Richard Stern
04-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Well exposed, nice wing angle and nice positioning in the frame. I like the inclusion of the concrete perch at the bottom. Whites are not blown. I'm not bothered by the oof dark spots at the sides, as they're part of the concrete bg. An image to be proud of.

Richard

Stu Bowie
04-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Very well timed Craig, and I do like the wing position of the swallow. I feel this needs a touch of contrast to boost it, and the concrete BG doesnt bother me, but I would maybe remove the larger darker spots. Happy Easter.

Daniel Cadieux
04-24-2011, 01:34 PM
Although I'd prefer a natural setting I actually don't mind the cement either! I do agree with Stuart about the larger spots though. I like the levitating pose. A minor point here is that I'd darken the pupil...

Austin Thomas
04-24-2011, 03:32 PM
Great action and eye contact Craig.

The concrete base and background tell the story to the viewer and connect the foreground to the background, so for this reason I think it works.

tfs

Austin

Arthur Morris
04-24-2011, 07:22 PM
Very loverly pose. I keep telling you that your images lack contrast and need a bit more saturation. This one makes at least three in a row.... Let me know if you would like me to quit barking up that tree.

Craig Brelsford
04-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Very loverly pose. I keep telling you that your images lack contrast and need a bit more saturation. This one makes at least three in a row.... Let me know if you would like me to quit barking up that tree.

Please don't stop barking up that tree, Artie. I posted the swallow then cringed a minute later because I finally saw what you saw. I don't know what my problem is. I'm not perceiving the lack of contrast and saturation as I process the image. I'm on my iPhone now but will post an improved picture after I get up.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Good Craig, I look forward to seeing a punched up repost.

Craig Brelsford
04-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Here's a repost. I improved the saturation and contrast and cloned out many spots in the BG.

Arthur Morris
04-24-2011, 09:12 PM
A huge improvement. Well done. Thank me very much for not giving up on you :)

Craig Brelsford
04-24-2011, 10:53 PM
A huge improvement. Well done. Thank me very much for not giving up on you :)

I'm not quite a rookie anymore, but I'm still not an all-star. In another year I don't think I'll be making these mistakes.

Pieter de Waal
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi Craig , I like the flight pose in this image and the concrete BG does not intrude. Lovely eye contact and exposure on the whites. Like the repost with the smoother BG and contrast/saturation boost.