PDA

View Full Version : Baby Duck

Roger Clark
06-22-2011, 05:40 PM
From this morning: 1D Mark IV, 1/500 second, ISO 400, 300 mm f/2.8 + 1.4x TC, f/9, manual exposure, cropped to 7 megapixels. Vertical crop from landscape mode. No more room at the bottom. I was laying on my stomach, hand holding the lens.

Roger

Gary Esman
06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi Roger, cute little guy. Really like the straight on look, the water droplets on the head and the glaring eyes. Has a determined look while plowing the duck weed. Sharp and well exposed, TFS.

Gary.

Brendan Dozier
06-22-2011, 06:23 PM
Love the head-on low angle on this Roger! Like the reflection, vibrant duck weed, and the plowing of the water. Nicely done!

Lorant Voros
06-22-2011, 06:52 PM
I like the green color of the water and the curious look. The water droplets are awesome.

Lori

Mike Tracy
06-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I like the determined look in his eyes, low vantage point and water drops.

Based on the highlight on the the tip of his bill and the shadowed area on his right side I'm going to guess the sun was a few degrees to your right. Since your the resident phase angle expert whats your take on your position relative to the subject ?

Roger Clark
06-22-2011, 08:33 PM
I like the determined look in his eyes, low vantage point and water drops.

Based on the highlight on the the tip of his bill and the shadowed area on his right side I'm going to guess the sun was a few degrees to your right. Since your the resident phase angle expert whats your take on your position relative to the subject ?

Hi Mike,
Yes, the sun was to my upper right behind me. The phase angle was about 20 degrees.

Roger

Bill Jobes
06-22-2011, 10:00 PM
There's so much going on here ... the head-on low POV, the turbulent water being pushed forward, droplets splashing over the head; the colors and the nailed focus.

Artistically speaking, I might consider cloning or otherwise eliminating the gray circular area to the left of the bird's head. I'm not sure how you feel about taking such actions, as for the most part, I tend to not do so, preferring to leave the scene as-captured.

I love this one Roger -- I can't recall ever seeing a better look at a swimming duckling !

Arthur Morris
06-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Very sweet as noted above. The area just above the bill could be toned down a bit to tame all of the tiny specular highlights.

Did you do any eye doctor work?

My favorite part of the image is that the big drop of water on the bill is green with reflections.

Ofer Levy
06-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Sweet image!

Roger Clark
06-23-2011, 07:19 AM
Very sweet as noted above. The area just above the bill could be toned down a bit to tame all of the tiny specular highlights.

Did you do any eye doctor work?

My favorite part of the image is that the big drop of water on the bill is green with reflections.

Hi Artie,

Good point on the bill. I will reduce that. No, I did not do any eye doctor work on the eyes.

Roger

Arthur Morris
06-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the info Roger.