Black Turnkelp?

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Dan Busby

20111002_BLTU_1199(ws).jpg

This juvi Black Turnstone was turning over more washed up beach kelp than stones on a Vancouver Island beach a month ago. It separated itself from a flock of Surfbirds so I decided to pick on it. I would have liked a slightly lower angle but I was already flat on my belly laying on large sharp beach rocks and following the bird was a challenge - to say nothing of the high likelihood that a dog was going to scare the bird away momentarily. The biggest difficulty was catching a good pose with feet visible and no stray seaweed in front. I cloned out one weed behind the bird. Other than that just basic S&H, curves and sharpening and a small vibrance boost. Wish I had opened up another third of a stop. All C&C welcome.
Canon 7D, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II +1.4x II, ISO:400, f/6.3@1/400, AP, EC: +1.0, AI Servo AF, evaluative metering, HH.

Good job keeping track of this guy. I like the sea salad it is foraging on:S3:. Good details, exposure. I'd prefer abit less room at left, or more at right...but still good as is. I'd look into toning down a few of the wet highlights on the vegetation.

Dan:

It does present better than the thumbnail. Just enough separation from the lighting on the bill to help it stand out from the dark body. I agree with Daniel about the highlights, and I would def. tone down the highlights beneath the breast in the water.
Understand the shooting angle concern, but in this environment, you probably would have lost the view of the foot if you could get lower, so a trade off.

Cheers

Randy

Very nice. I love the kelp and the environmental feel of this image. The only highlights that bother me are the ones under the belly. Good comp for me,
Gail

Dan, the angle doesnt look all that bad, and I like te exposure you have achieved. The 'salad' is a bit busy, and I quite like the surk BG as is. Well done for being persistant on getting your shot.

Looks as though you did a great job overcoming some difficult conditions, Dan. I really like the image you have created here. Your bird has a nice pose and details and you have given us a lesson about its environment. Agree with Daniel on a slight crop from the left. The only other thing I may consider if this were mine, since you already cloned something out, I would consider cloning out the white highlights in the water right under the bird.

Latest posts

Back