PDA

View Full Version : Chaffinch

Jonathan Ashton
11-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS tripod head, ISO 640 -0.33 1/1250 sec f6.3
This was taken from one of my garden hides. I have been trying for some time to get these finches to perch but they refuse to perch adjacent to a feeding station. I got out the bird table, scattered a few seeds and in no time I managed to get a few shots - just as well because the English weather arrived and the light went way down.
I have been re-reading Roger Clarke's posts concerning light direction and I have tried to optimise conditions. I found that (no surprise here!) when the light is at 15-30 degrees to the subject fairly minimal sharpening is required.
I eagerly await all comments regarding this image.

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
11-30-2011, 10:20 AM
Jonathan, a beautiful catch and more so in view of the light conditions.
However, the tail appears to be a bit OOF, I am not too sure.

Dumay de Boulle
11-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Lovely IQ, great BG (Love the different colors) and very nice perch. I would say f8 was needed to get more tail and back leg in focus and also feel the BG needs another round of NR otherwise a very nicely presented image!

Wynand van Wyk
11-30-2011, 10:40 AM
A superb portrait captured here! I love the beautiful background and detail on the bird. Lovely natural perch too.

Well done from me!

Mital Patel
11-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Jonathan you have grabbed best over given opportunity.
I would try to boost shads as the face and breast part mixes with the bg being dark.

just an idea :5

Sachin Saraf
11-30-2011, 10:48 AM
Wonderful shot...you nailed it...lovely BG and nice and sharp bird with precise DOF

Jonathan Ashton
11-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone, very encouraging. The slightly smaller aperture may have given just enough - about 11-13mm. Regarding the illumination on the face and chest, I applied a mask to the eye and brightened it a little. I then made a mask of part of the face and down the right side of the chest and made a levels layer to equalise the light a little. The bright light under the eye socket is not artefact from the mask, it is natural light.

Stu Bowie
11-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Hi Jon, I do like the inqisitive pose, and that perch rocks with the bright green lichen. Quite a colourful guy, with excellent sharpness where it counts. I feel you could move him up in the frame a touch - or take a bit off the top. Cheers. :w3

Dan Busby
11-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Lovely photo Jonathan. Love the colours, BG, bird pose. Nice sharpness and detail. Yes, f8 might have brought the tail into focus.

dankearl
11-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Stunning light and the bird is beautiful.
The pose is really good, it look wistful and mournful.
Well done.

Tom Redd
12-01-2011, 12:05 AM
Jonathon, love this shot, beautiful colors on both the bird and the BG. The DOF doesn't bother me really, you have it sharp where it is needed most. Very well done.

Robert Holguin
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Wonderful shot. Love the pose, excellent detail, lovely background and perch.