PDA

View Full Version : Incoming Iceland

Joseph Cala
02-18-2012, 04:43 PM
An Adult Iceland popped up this past week in Madison, CT so I took the opportunity to get some better shots on Thursday. When I first arrived the bird was perched on a house so I tossed some bread out to get the gulls back to the beach. I got a series of a few hundred pictures but I find this to be the most 'interesting'. I've been toying with the exposure for 2 days now and can't decide to lighten, darken, etc etc.

Nikon D300 w. Sigma 500mm f/4.5 on Monopod
Matrix Metering, Manual mode 1/500 sec @ 4.5, ISO 200.

The lighting wasn't great at the start so I left the shutter speed low to keep the ISO down for the still shots, and when the bird picked up off the water and flew at me I just started shooting. This picture is also uncropped.

gail bisson
02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Hi Joseph,
Welcome to BPN! What a beautiful gull. You did a great job with the whites and I like the white on whitish grey BG. The main issue for me is the fact that the foot is cut off and nothing can fix it so I would go for a tight face and partial wing crop,
Gail

Grace Scalzo
02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi Joseph, Angelic, whispy, whimical feeling to this image. I really love it. Get a copy of the APTATS Cd from Birds as art and learn how to add canvas to the bottom and take a toe from the complete foot and add it. (If you are ok with this). As is, I do miss that toe!