Thread: Grey Heron - Lake Panic

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Heron - Lake Panic

Please could you guys offer some thoughts on this image. The major issue I have is not enough space on the right. I'm more interested in critique on the processing of the image.
    5D3 | 1/1250 @ 7.1 | ISO 3200 | 300/4+1.4x(II)
    Processed initially in LR5, to PSE for background blur, de noise and USM. Back to LR for deFine and then back to PSE for resize and output sharpening.
    Sounds like a lot of work - maybe wasted on this image?

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Processing looks generally good to me but there appears to be a blue cast, contributing some thinness to the image. I'd go back to the original raw file and look at some tweaking of the Temp and Tint sliders in LR, or the Auto setting, to give you some variation to compare. (The other presets are usually not good.) If the yellows become too strong, the culprit might be the Camera Profile, in the Camera Calibration panel. The default Adobe Standard can boost yellows too much in some images.

I love the soft BG! I'd remove the one twig that goes through the foo, though.

You can do the output directly from LR, although sometimes the three sharpening choices aren't enough. Or, doesn't Nik Dfine work as a filter from Elements? No problem is going back and forth but it may not be necessary.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Mike,

I have to say I really like your shot and I actually don't mind the lack of space to the right because of the diagonal the Heron makes across the frame. For some reason it sits right with me :)

I agree with Dianne about the twig going through the foot. I'd clone that out :)

Love the shot!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Diane and Campbell.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

If you like it...then it is not a bunch of wasted work/time...plus it is a good way to learn.

I like the pose of the bird...but it does seem a little flat and could use some some processing to bring it out more.