Theme Mammoth & Dwarves

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Morkel Erasmus

BPN Member
elephant_bull_2_Etosha_2013.jpg

One of Namibia's impressive elephant bulls photographed from an underground bunker in Etosha National Park.
This is the same bunker from where I captured the 2015 BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year cover image. :bg3:

Techs:
Nikon D800
Nikkor 24-70mm f2.8 @ 48mm
Circular Polariser
f11 | 1/100 SS | ISO-320

Last edited:
Very impressive animal. I like the low pov from which it was photographed. I guess you need to be in a bunker with these things trampling about. Agree about the giraffe on the end of the trunk.

Hi Morkel -- Stunning POV ! Looks massive , the colour of the sky adds interest and the giraffes are really appearing like dwarfs ! The details have come out very nicely , but i agree with Sanjeev regarding that giraffe under the trunk it is a bit distracting .

TFS !

Hi Morkel - Impressive bull and the bunker really gives a nice low pov. There's no embedded color profile. There's also a halo around much of the ele. I agree about the intersection of the giraffe and the trunk.

TFS,
Rachel

Hi Morkel - Impressive bull and the bunker really gives a nice low pov. There's no embedded color profile. There's also a halo around much of the ele. I agree about the intersection of the giraffe and the trunk.

TFS,
Rachel

Cheers Rachel - will fix the colour profile, must have uploaded the wrong file.
Halo was not there when processing - must be upload compression or something.

I tend to disagree on the giraffe behind the trunk - looks like the elephant is grabbing a mini-giraffe in it's trunk :)

Hi Morkel, a bit late to the party.

The bunker provides an excellent POV which sadly isn't achievable normally and good call on the CPL. I too am not a lover of the Giraffe under the trunk, for me it looks like the trunk is pushing the Giraffe into the ground, but I guess we all see things differently.

TFS
Steve

Hi Morkel .... later to the party :bg3: , nevertheless i love that POV ..... could not get any better IMHO :5 :5
Love the overall colors , tones etc .....
Well that bunker is still in my dreams .... but bet it will be hard to make the dream come true !!!

Very very very nice work , a pleasure to view

TFS Andreas

Hi Morkel, What an amazing perspective ; in Montana we worry about Grizzlies but I would be more afraid of this guy than any Grizzly. If you were to get close, would this bull tend to be aggressive? Are they unpredictable?

Thanks folks...

Hi Morkel, What an amazing perspective ; in Montana we worry about Grizzlies but I would be more afraid of this guy than any Grizzly. If you were to get close, would this bull tend to be aggressive? Are they unpredictable?

Steve the big old units can be quite docile if you know how to approach them and show the correct body language. In places like Mana Pools many people walk up to wild elephants safely and respectfully without incident.
Cows with calves, however, should ALWAYS be avoided EVERYWHERE haha :Whoa!:

Latest posts

Back