Nikon 600mm f4 help

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Walker Noe

Hello all. I recently had the amazing opportunity to pick up a Nikon 600mm f4D AF-S I IF-ED for the delicious price of $2100, including a Jobu 2 Gimbal head. It weighs in at around 13 lbs, but I'm 20 and have no fears of handholding the beast for shorter periods. That being said, what are a nice pair of legs I should consider for my setup, especially since the lens has no VR? Right now I have a 300f4 and a carbon fiber set of legs, and I want to upgrade to something beefier. Would also love to hear others' thoughts on this lens, considering it's 20 years old. Ideally I would pick up one of the VR versions, but that simply isn't feasible on a college student income at this time.

Also, I'm 6'4" so that can become a factor in picking a suitable set of legs.

Thanks,

Walker

Last edited:
I mainly hand hold, but when I need a tripod I use an Induro 404 carbon fiber. You need something very sturdy for that lens, particularly if you're going to shoot at lower SS.

Here's a link to their current model:

http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-clt404l.aspx

13-lb is pretty near the limit for most of us. I've got a linebacker build, but I'm 68 and can get tired holding my puny little 8-lb Canon 500/f4. You need a strategy to keep the weight off your arms when you're not actually shooting. I find that a padded shoulder strap works quite well. It gets the load off, but keeps the lens at the ready. Also, carrying that load for hours at a time, holding it by the foot does not give you the rest your need and can strain the tendons in your elbow.

Congrats on the incredible deal.

Thanks David. I think I am going to go with the Gitzo 1548. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also does anyone know where I can pick up a spare hood for the beast? It was not included. I received the lens today and it is in pristine condition. Yeah!

Latest posts

Back