Barred Owl

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Juan Fernandez

241A5947c.jpg

I took this image earlier this week at Port Charlotte, FL. It is a very heavy crop (1:1) since the owl was in a very busy background and my attempts to deal with the BG have been less than ideal. I have found that most people here tend to like loose crops rather than tight compositions but this one seems to work for me and the amount of detail in the face is acceptable.
I guess I will have to reshoot anyway... :w3

All comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged, but specifically I would like to hear some feedback about what to do with the eyes. Should I burn all highlights and recreate some catch lights? What do you do with these obvious reflections?

Taken using a
Canon 7D mk II
Canon 100-400 mk II at 312mm
f/ 5.6
ISO 800
1/200

Last edited:
sample.jpg

Juan, This is one way of handling an unwanted BG. A little more SS or DOF would have helped but I see you wee trying to keep your ISO down.
I re-posted with a bit of adjustment to the tone to make it pop a bit more.

-Tim

Thanks for the adjustments!
Yes, I was as shallow as the lens would allow me,and pretty much at the limit of my shutterspeed at that focal length. I will have to visit him again, hoping for a better perch.

HI juan....Nice image...the repost is an improvement in tone. You might consider taking a bit off the bottom to bring more attention too those eyes

Latest posts

Back