Strobe photography-does it work?

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Randy Dunn

Hummingbird-3.jpg

This image of a Blue-throaded hummingbird was captured near Portal Az. (just north of the mexican border)

Canon 5D, EF 300mm f4L IS lens
tripod and electrictronic release
prefocused
three 285HV Vivitar flashes set to 1/16 power (two set @45 degrees, third set low and on axis)
1/180 sec @ F16
focal length 300mm
ISO 200
lathe afternoon, in shade

What do you think of this kind photography(strobe photography)? Its the only way I know how to stop the wings
in sharp focus

Randy, A lot of people love to use multiple flash setups for hummingbirds, I myself prefer natural light with a slight wing blur to show motion.
Your image here works well, nice HA and catchlight, but I would change the crop so it's not so centered. More room in front to show direction and maybe a bit more room on top.

-Tim

Randy, A lot of people love to use multiple flash setups for hummingbirds, I myself prefer natural light with a slight wing blur to show motion.
Your image here works well, nice HA and catchlight, but I would change the crop so it's not so centered. More room in front to show direction and maybe a bit more room on top.

-Tim

Thanks Tim for the review. According to the metadata the file was not cropped (3159 x 2378). I get very close to the bird while shooting maybe less than 10 ft. to fill the frame
which leaves little room for adjusting the image. Should I move back (I used a 300 prime) for a larger canvas or add canvas in ps? How can the rule of thirds be in play if the image fills
the frame out of the camera? Thanks again, this is the kind of help I need.

sample1.jpg

Thanks Tim for the review. According to the metadata the file was not cropped (3159 x 2378). I get very close to the bird while shooting maybe less than 10 ft. to fill the frame
which leaves little room for adjusting the image. Should I move back (I used a 300 prime) for a larger canvas or add canvas in ps? How can the rule of thirds be in play if the image fills
the frame out of the camera? Thanks again, this is the kind of help I need.

Randy in this case with the dark BG you could easily add canvas in PS to suit your taste for the crop you desire, you would be able to do that with any simple BG.

-Tim

Latest posts

Back