OUCH!

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Randy Stout

Avian Moderator
Staff member
20230218_MI_KBS_Swans_Ducks_Geese_small-BPN_LRP0681-sharpened.jpg

The trumpeter swans are getting a bit more cranky as the weather warms up here in southern Michigan. This adult apparently took offense at the nearby juvie and started biting him on the tail. The juvie tried to take off, and dragged the adult along for a ways. A number of feathers were pulled out in the process

Z9 800 PF, f/6.3. 1/2500s, ISO 320. Hand held.

Post: mild crop for comp, minimal processing in LR and PS.

Super fun image. I like everything about it. Swans are beautifully exposed and crack on the dark ice. The strip of reeds at the top is a nice touch. The composition is perfect with lots of room/habitat all around. And you
got catchlights on bth birds. You might be able to get a bit more detail on the right bird's feet, but that's really, really minor. Awesome image!

I love the action and behavior you managed to capture here! When I first opened it I also felt it was a tiny bit dark overall, but just a tiny bit. Still a great image!!

20230218_MI_KBS_Swans_Ducks_Geese_small-_sbrighterBPN_LRP0681-sharpened.jpg

Thanks guys:

I appreciate the point about the brightness. I made a small curves adjustment, brought the brightest whites into the 235 range. Better?

Randy

Repost better - overall a super shot - good action. It may be me but I feel a slight blue cast on the swan RHS.

20230218_MI_KBS_Swans_Ducks_Geese_small-BPN_LRP0681-sharpened_RPA.jpg

Hi Randy ... here is what I thought about brightness , i think your RP is improved .... but I would take it further , matter of taste .

Cheers Andreas

Andreas:

Thanks for your repost. I tend toward slightly darker images, but yours is very effective.

Randy

Latest posts

Back