Barn swallow (Hirundo rustica)

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Jonathan Ashton

Macro and Flora Moderator
Staff member
_1017241-.jpg

Image captured in the back garden (our house is aptly called Swallows Barn.)
The image is cropped and I removed the telegraph wire from which it launched. I was in two minds about reducing some highlights but they are not blown in the raw file.
OM-1 150-400TC
ISO : 2000
Shooting Mode : Manual
Shutter : 1/4000 sec
F.No. : F4.5
Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV

Hi Jon,

Hours of fun can be had trying to capture these speedsters! And it is almost always against the light.

This one looks nice and sharp and the exposure looks good.

Thanks for sharing, Gerald

Well captured Jon, not easy. Nicely detailed and good colours. I would have liked to see a better pose. I was photographing sand martins today, and the 'better' ones I think, was when the BG was anything other than the sky. They were flying just above reeds and because of that I didn't have to crop so much, leaving the bird small in frame, with a nice BG.
BTW if you are still going to that hide next month, there's a male Sparrowhawk coming in quite regular.

Will

Thanks Geraqld glad you like it.
Will yes I am going - looking forward to it, Sparrowhawk would be good- just had a Peregrine over the back garden but I doubt I got a terribly good image - will check it out. Regarding pose maybe I was hasty - I think I have a better one.

Hi Jon ... you managed a very difficult subject to get it captured , so well done on that front .
Think you can get more from the swallow in terms of contrast / sharpness ... it does appear quite flat . At least I would try to push it more on the tonal front .
Colors matter of taste , think I would reduce the blues a touch and give the " orange throat " more prominence .
Not sure why you have chosen the central placement ???!!!

TFS Andreas

Latest posts

Back