Thread: Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown hare (Lepus europaeus)

Attached Images Attached Images

A bit of a flurry going on here, this is in our newly aquired meadow at the side of the house, there wasn't much boxing - just a very determined attempt by the male to mount the female, she threw him off a couple of times but he succeded eventually. Again my main regret was the distance was a little too great and I was fighting the light.
    As luck would have it, the male returned yesterday morning........he was closer this time.

Hand held and cropped, OM-1, 150-400TC
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 1002.0mm
    ISO Sensitivity : 2500
    Shutter : 1/3200 sec
    F.No. : F5.6
    Exposure compensation : +0.7 EV

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon ... what a cool Hare shot !!!
    Love the action captured , very well done during capture .
    I would remove the two stems across the bodys .... why have you been fighting the light ??? Light does look even ... maybe a bit backlit ???
    Personal taste ... a bit flat in color and the Hares maybe a touch too red ???
    Overall it does look natural , as you like it .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, I agree entirely with your comments, I thought I would see the reaction to this before I posted some more. Subject bacllit so I exposed as far right as I could, then I dropped exposure on the grasses and modified Black and Whites on hares. I use Adobe standard and only +3/4points Saturation. The hares are just a little colourful so I reduced Saturation another two points - as you say maybe better reduce the Reds. Crop larger than ideal but seems to hold up ok.
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 06-05-2024 at 02:03 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a fun shot Jon, wish you were closer! The look on the face of the 'flying' hare just too precious! Thank you for sharing!

Was about to suggest you crop more but do not think the frame can handle it. And yes, I would remove the grasses.

Light looks a bit flat to me, I quite like to shoot in such conditions as there are no strong shadows. Techs look good. The plant in front of the subjects a tad distracting but nothing you can do about that.

And yes please, post some more, you should have hundreds of frames from this sighting

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon,

Enjoying the action here! Shame about the stalks across the bodies, but that's wildlife!

Looking forward to your posts from the next encounter!

Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, be nice in an ideal world you were square on, but... The grass stalks don't worry me, as Gerald said it's Wildlife, but that top eye, its a bit scary!!!!

I might have gone high on the SS, you had the ISO ie 1/4000 to really freeze the action. No idea on your workflow these days as it keeps moving in all directions like the grasses, but even at 100% its lacking that refinement IMHO.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your comments everyone much appreciated. The grasses I agree are not desireable but that's nature, it doesn't spoil the moment for me, so I would not consider removing and then having pixel peepers saying something has been going on!!
    Steve I did indeed shoot a number of images at 1/4000 sec as well as 1/3200, 1/1600sec and 1/1250sec, when I felt fast action was most likely I went faster and vice versa, the trouble is the hares didn't always behave as anticipated.
    I am curious at your comments on workflow, I have done little to change it since I got the OM-1 other than select differing Colour profiles and end up with Adobe Standard for most of the time. NR has been almost universally Adobe Denoise for monthe and months and I have slectively processed subject and bacground since the facity was available on Beta. I have added some additional sharpening on some images using a blending mode which I find good but not needed universally - so I use it selectively. If lacking in refinement and you have suggestions I am eager to learn and improve - if you have ideas or suggestions I would recieve them and eagerly and gratefully try them...... but don't be vague, I don't find that helpful.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, I wouldn't change SS providing you have the right ISO, messing with this just leads to trouble IMHO as you are back and forth.

As for Blend mode for sharpening why, if the Raw is sharp then simple USM via Ps would be fine, you are getting led down a path you don't need to go down.

Jon I said a while back I'm not providing any more help in PP and being 'vague' as you put it, IMHO doesn't provide/create that 'Silver bullet' because ultimately there isn't one. It almost becomes a straight jacket then and its not the right way to do things.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.