Thread: Golden Jackal

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Golden Jackal

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks .. another shot taken in Bandhavgarh NP in India back in 2016 , this time from the core zone of the park .
    More or less a grab shot , rather than a planned shot .... Light was not that great actually during very late morning drive , already quite harsh light .
    But we took the opportunity to get shots of the Jackal .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 490 mm
    HH

F 5,6 ; Iso 640 ; 1/800 sec

Processed with DT 4.6.1 and PSCC 2024 ; cropped for better comp ; removed a bit of thin bamboo shrub in BG and one very thin stick across the subject

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot love the colours and detail.
    I am not too sure about the left foreleg (??AI monkey business??)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon ... glad you like it , no AI monkey business on the leg .
    Just one thin bamboo stick removed , coming from right going half way across the breast . Some OOF stuff removed without AI monkey business

Cheers Andreas

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas,

Glad you captured this image, interesting looking jackal and very wolf like, I like the colour of the fur. Or rather, colours!

Composition works well and the bed of leaves in the FG is really nice. Not easy to make a light subject stand out against a light background but you managed to emphasise the jackal and bring him forward.

Background not ideal as those twigs tend to draw the eye, but such is the environment. I have the same issue with many images from Kruger, do realise the vegetation must be a huge attraction for nature lovers but for a photographer it is a bit of a nightmare.

Overall a nice frame and I enjoyed viewing, thank you so much for sharing.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela .. thank you for your comment , as always much appreciated .

Actually I am not too concerned about the " distractions " ... unless they are running across the subject , if it's worth it I would remove them . All the rest doesn´t bother me that much .... they are no nightmare as they are part of the environment .I would for sure wish for a cleaner surrounding , but hey it's taken in the Indian jungle .... But you seem to get hung up on that lately ...a lot more than you did before , wonder where that comes from . Fully ok .. we all see things differently at times .
    Sometimes I do remove more , sometimes less .. depending on mood and image . I hope you still shoot even if you see " nightmare " in the viewfinder ... LOL .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I quite like the framing here Andreas, but for me the image lacks the IQ of Mirrorless now, but even for the 1DX I would have gone for a higher SS as ISO was still quite good.

The fallen leaves and bamboo environment makes for a please environment.

Surprised you have moved from C1 to Dark Table as it has limited scope to a point, but its knowing the full potential and more deeper elements that make it a useful tool every now and then.

But you seem to get hung up on that lately ...a lot more than you did before , wonder where that comes from
    I haven't noticed anything different in Gabriella's replies or responses Andreas, they are all very well balanced, not sure where you are going on that?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve for your comment , much appreciated .
    Would agree that I could have gone higher to gain more SS ... but as this is rather old image , I would not compare it to the latest mirrorless stuff and try to make the best possible output from the file . Think the comparison is somewhat unfair .... so i´m not doing it .
    I have my reasons ... to use DT . And actually it does not matter at all , C1 ; DT ; LR ; DPP etc .... they are just tools . And I get along nicely with DT

Cheers Andreas