Thank You Posts

Default Puffin

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon R6
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2
    f/7.1
    1/4000
    ISO 640

Whilst at Mull, I took a boat trip to Lunga and spent 4 hours on the island. For most of the time the light was too bright, a few white clouds did help but they were rare. Great time though, where you can get real close to the lots of Puffins and Razorbills, along with other sea birds. I just wished the light wasn't so bright when I was there, better than the wind and rain I suppose.

Jon with regards to the conversation we had about Lunga. I was with the boat named Turus Mara, they are now doing bird photography trips to the island for sunset photography. They need at least 6 photographers going. I wished I had known this before I booked a couple of months before I went. I can just imagine being on the island at sunset, it would be fantastic.

HH, ACR and PS.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, I totally agree, you need the conditions to be overcast for subject like this'd overall it's more flattering too.

The quirky HA is indicative of this bird, but its that 'scary' eye I find a bit disconcerting. The capture is sharp, but as presented its bordering too sharp and having the bright condition may have added, just simply pull it back.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, we are planning a trip to Iceland, Greenland and Norway next spring and I can't wait for a chance to shoot these guys. Unfortunately they were not present yet when we were in England and Wales.

This is a beautiful portrait. Loads of detail and as a personal matter, I'm glad we don't see the opposing eye.

Not much to critique although I feel like the sharpening is pushing it just a little. There's so much texture in the plumage already you could probably just pull it back a touch. Some sharpening is also causing a little bit of graininess in parts such as the grays in the beak and iris in the eye.

Love to see Puffins, great work here mate!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will a lovely composition I do find it over sharpened a bit some areas causing more problems. I do think you could add some more vibrance ,saturation. These guys are very colorful.You did very well as for the harsh light I had no idea.TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys, much appreciated

Will