Thread: Ruddy Duck

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruddy Duck

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot this Ruddy duck in North Dakota from my floating blind.When out shooting we usually pick up a bird behavior. As this Ruddy duck is in breeding plumage I noticed as it was gliding along they huff or inflate as to lift their wings off their back. Very subtle and this shows in this image with the wings lifted.
    Processed with Dpp 4, Photoshop. Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon R5
    Rf 400 2.8
    560mm
    f4
    1/2000
    ISO 4000

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin a nice capture and I like the slight head turn to camera, The rich vibrant yellow works well to separate the subject and the subtle bow wave adds to the direction motion. I get the feeling you may have upped the Cyan/blue and that's fine for the boill, bit personally I might not let is creep into other areas of the subject, personally choice. I might also mask the blue in the whites of the face. Overall the subject does need a bit more USM, viewed at 100% indicates in needs a bit more.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin ... you portrayed this lovely Duck species very nicely , specially in the combo with the contrasting water colors !!! Love it . I know them from captivity ... even breed them for the company , they are full of cute character
    Pleasing composition and you managed a lovely tonal range across the image ...
    Color matter of taste , regarding the blues in the subject .... but would agree with Steve and his thoughts about more sharpening .

Nonetheless a lovely presented image , congrats

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin:

They are such characters! Whites nicely handled, low angle from your floating hide. Interesting behavioral note. Probably trying to look bigger and more desirable. I assume this lake is pretty shallow so that the hide works with you just walking along?
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin, always loved a breeding Ruddy drake. You captured this fella well.

You seem to always get such nice water colors and no exception here. Great angle to the lens, nice, rich tones. Exposed well.

If you attempted to reduce the blue hues from the plumage I think it would add a little. Overall a great frame though!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I never upped the blue. I do see some in the whites now that you mentioned it.What are you referring to USM some kind of sharpening? Thanks again for your input.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Randy most prairie pot holes are very shallow. I do prefer a slough like this where water level is two to three feet. Makes it easy on shooting off the Wimberly without breaking your neck at low angles.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As you use Ps Kevin, then USM (Unsharp mark) is still the best way to sharpen images and Ps is still the Industry standard for this, its also the best software available for what it can deliver. Don't get suckered into Third Party stuff, as some do with scripts, say your Dollars.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian appreciate your comments. I try and find sloughs with some great color reflections from the cattails. This was a afternoon shot which I never do.It is amazing how the colors change from morning to afternoon shoots.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve I will try USM as I have been using smart sharpen in PS.Steve I have always been cautious when sharpening so as not to over due it.