Thread: New Zealand Fur Seal - right way up!

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default New Zealand Fur Seal - right way up!

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the very helpful comments and suggestions from my last Seal post.

I have taken those onboard in processing this image from the same session on the reef in Kaikoura. I think the result looks much more interesting, so I hope that you like it too!

Image was made with the Canon 1DX and the FE 100-400 II at 300mm. Shutter speed was 1/800 sec at f/8.0 and ISO 1600.

Processing has been mostly in LrC, then sizing and sharpening in PS.

Thanks and best to all!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image Gerald, cool POV again and the landscape framing works well. DoF looks good and when viewed at 100% is perfectly sharp, with good detail.

As the subject is more slower on land than say Andreas jackal, techs look good as its not going to move from the basking position, unless provoked.

Would you consider going deeper in terms of colour, especially that lovely sea backdrop?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gerald .. another one of them , very cool .
    I do actually prefer the previous post , due to the more " unique pose " . This is a solid good image , well composed with a more classy posing of the subject . Again nice and simple overall design .
    The color grading of the previous posting does fit more and is more " accurate " IMHO .... I know a bit picky , but this image appears a touch green/cyan in the rocks . The other one was more " yellow " .
    Still a pretty darn good shot , with lovely detail showing up in the silky fur .... btw have you ever touched a Sea Lion , the fur is extremely soft when being dry .

TFS Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The seal looks very good indeed to me - lovely glance at the camera! The surrounding rocks - I have no idea what colour they are or should have been, I am guessing the blue background is sea and sky and the colours are beautiful.