Thread: Territorial Battle - common loons

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Territorial Battle - common loons

Attached Images Attached Images

Loonapaloosa 2024. I am up north for a two week period to follow the hatching of the loon chicks on the several different lakes I watch. The weather has been cold, rainy and windy. But, I have still spent a lot of time floating around with the loons, often with the umbrella up on the kayak, and lots of rain gear on.

This image shows a territorial battle between two adult males. The resident loon is on the left, while the intruder is being the aggressor in this image. This encounter went on for forty five minutes and can sometimes lead to the death of one of the loons. Fortunately both survived, and the resident male ultimately prevailed. It can be a challenge to photograph, because they are constantly moving, often underwater, and can suddenly pop up 180 degrees away from where they were when they dove underwater.

Z9, 180-600 at 540mm. f/7.1 1/1600s, ISO 1600. Hand held. I normally use a gimbal mounted in my kayak, but they were so erratic in their movement, that I needed the flexibility of hand holding.

LRCC & PS. Cropped from top and bottom. The spray went up well above the crop line, but I felt the framing would be better cropped as presented.

Advice and comments always appreciated .

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, looks like you captured what you set out to and the spray accentuates the territorial squabble.

As usual, your low level POV works and links the subject with the viewer. The cold colours amplify the temperature conditions. Looks like the Z9 nailed the action, but rather you than me in a Kayak, albeit Andrew Mc used to use one I recollect.

As you had ISO on your side would it worth considering a higher SS because of the 45mpx?

Looking forward to seeing more from the trip and don't get too cold.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve:

The lighting had been changing constantly because of cloud cover, and just before this sequence I was at ISO 6400 with same shutter speed. In a perfect world, I would have traded some ISO for shutter speed, but when the action erupts, you push the shutter button and hope.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, know what you mean Randy, but the Z9 AF is just so good. BTW do you ever use the DX for extra reach?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Yep, know what you mean Randy, but the Z9 AF is just so good. BTW do you ever use the DX for extra reach?
    I sure do use DX.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy I love this fighting image. I have several from ducks and coots and always find them hard to process with all the water distracting from the subjects. Great low angle and good head turns on both loons.Hard to believe the fight lasted of such along duration. TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great action shot, I am sure you will have more - perhaps with fewer water droplets obscuring the face? I appreciate you get what you're given and sod's law means the "best" shots probably have the spray in a less than ideal position.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy ... I guess everything that was in your hands went right , gorgeous shot of the stunning action ... nothing you do about the flying water droplets . They are there when fast action in water is going on .
    Overall image does look very spectacular to me .... no nits at all

Stunning work !!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice dynamic frame Randy, I do not mind the water drops. my only wish is that if you had a touch more color in the scene but understandable given lighting conditions

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Arash: Thanks for your input! I get your point about color. With black and white birds, not much to work with there. It was a rainy morning, was shooting out from under an umbrella on my kayak, and it was rather dull.
    But, I thought action was worth it.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS