Thread: Kea calling

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Kea calling

Attached Images Attached Images

While the New Zealand catalog is open, and I am browsing, I thought to share this image of New Zealand's endemic mountain parrot - the Kea. Photographed on a breezy, overcast day in the Southern Alps. They are very intelligent birds and famously mischievous; great fun to watch.

This image made with the Canon 1Dx and EF 100-400 at 371mm. Shutter speed 1/1250 sec at f/5.6, ISO 1600.

Minimal processing required, in LrC and Enhance. Resized and sharpened for output in PS.

Comments and suggestions warmly welcomed.

Gerald

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Gerald, another cracking image, full of colour and on a killer backdrop.

Personally I feel this is calling for the full subject and shot in Portrait, perhaps you have this in a few frames further on???? The open beak is a cool touch. Being overcast always helps and this illustrates it, but a bit more separation between Subject & BKG.

I think you could add a little more pop to the subject and I might be tempted to add a bit more sharpening, but at this stage it's perceptual. If you are using Ps USM use the window that pops up, as this is at 100% of the file so it creates a good gauge. The content you can move ie to an eye.

The RP might illustrate my thoughts, the option on crop is purely that.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Gerald ... very cool that you are still floating around in the Kiwi archive , so we get stuff to see that we are normally not getting to see
    They must be fun to watch and photograph ...
    Lovely color palette in subject and BG , which is nicely isolated with very good slight variations ... way better than the almost mono color BG`s . Love the facial expression and the open beak .
    Personally I would sharpen the subject more , head does look a bit soft compared to the wings

TFS Andreas

5. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a cool species Gerald. One thing I love about BPN is seeing the amazing variations of birds around the world.

This would be a treat to shoot. I do like your original composition and love the calling pose.

I think it could stand to use a little pop of luminosity and also a little warmth. You could also probably give it another round of sharpening and it would be a real banger!

Appreciate you sharing and hoping for more.

7. Thanks Gerald Kelberg thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot Gerald, a little more "thrutch" as my old Grandpa would say does bring out all the details.