Thank You Posts

Default Jay

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon R6
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2
    f/4
    1/4000
    ISO 1600

This is one from last week at the set up. I was getting the usual woodland birds coming close, and noticed Jays flying in from the distance. The Jays were landing on a rock in amongst the grasses, where I had placed peanuts. Light was good for fast action. so decided to concentrate on the Jays. The reason I did this was, if I was going for close up I had to set my lens at 3.3 - 8mm for fast focus lock. As the jays were a wee bit further away, I had to set the lens to full, for fast lock on. So manually switching the lens from 3.3mm-8mm to full did hinder me. I chose f/4 for separation between the subject and the BG. Anyway, I managed a few shots of the Jays coming in. The camera's focus system done well to lock onto the Jay as it flew amongst the grasses. Gimbal Head. ACR and PS

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will nothing wrong in this, lovely detail, cool separation, nice colour. Love the wings outstretched are you using peanuts?

Just be aware as it gets closer you might start to runout of DoF.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image Will!

The Jay looks tack sharp separating nicely from the background. Spectacular incoming pose and full stretch.

Background and foreground are very nice - I like the flowers and grasses - they tell me all about the meadow and the season adding a nice sense of place and time.

Thanks for sharing.

Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Excellent landing pose, and I love the surrounding grasses. I could see a version with less at left though. Jays liking peanuts - sounds like a global phenomenon!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like this one Will. Yes sir!

About as nice a flared pose as there is and they are not super easy to get on smaller birds by any means.

Super sweet colors in the grasses and nothing distracts as well. A gem to view my friend!!

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Will, I like it very much. I may be out of kilter here with everyone else but I think the image is just a little peely wally (is that the correct expression??) and I think borderline oversharpened.