Thread: Polenstwa 2013

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Polenstwa 2013

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Everyone,

Thought I'd share something with you tonight...This is my first post on BPN Wildlife in May 2013. Not going to say more, just copied and pasted the intro I wrote eleven years ago. And re-processed the image with a 'lighter hand', as Steve would say

Image taken in the Kalahari in March 2012, one afternoon after a heavy storm- a very special sighting, with the subject walking through tall golden grass and that blue sky behind him. I still remember that afternoon...my fingers trembling with emotion, looking for the shutter button, eyes searching, framing, composing...Despite going back to the Kalahari again and having had many other sightings, this image is still closest to my heart.

I would appreciate any crits, technical or otherwise-it is my first post on this website. Thank you for viewing.

Gabriela

NIKON D3S
    500mm F4
    1/1600s
    F7.1
    ISO 1000
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Simply Gorgeous, then and now! What a beast and I can only image how special it was to see this big boy with that black mane.

The D3s still rocks.

Memory lane for sure.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Simply Gorgeous, then and now! What a beast and I can only image how special it was to see this big boy with that black mane.

The D3s still rocks.

Memory lane for sure.

TFS
    Steve
    Thank you so much Steve,

I have never forgotten that special moment, probably the best and most exciting sighting I can remember. It happened after a huge rain storm, when Andre and I decided to take a drive around Polenstwa and see what the landscape looked like and if there was any wildlife around. We were rewarded with some amazing sightings.

You might remember, the D3S at the time was known as 'the king of noise"...I had no idea at the time what it meant really...Just aimed at the lion and took as many frames as I could, hoping he would give me a glance as he was passing by... Turns out those are my best memories ever. Happy to share with you tonight
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have never forgotten that special moment, probably the best and most exciting sighting I can remember.
    This is why Photography is just oh so good, irrespective of what you shoot, it's the memories that the camera creates and you will NEVER forget. The great think is, you never know when it may happen, like my unpredictable shower , you just think WOW..., or 'what happened then', serendipity. You cannot predict or creat them, they just happen.

You might remember, the D3S at the time was known as 'the king of noise".
    And you were happy with 12.1million px, now you have a whopping 45mpx.

So, when you have the time LOL, get out there and shoot your heart out, easier said than done, but who knows you might just make another 2013 image in '24!!!!!

You know I'm stoke from this trip and what's come from it, so come on, make your very limited time count, each time you get the opportunity.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely Steve, doing my best. Practising all I can. Leaving for work earlier than usual just in case I see something special.

So looking forward to see your images from the last trip...Got a glimpse of a few... but waiting to see the processed versions!

Speak soon, hope you have a great rest of the week and that the weekend is stunning!

Warmest regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    This is why Photography is just oh so good, irrespective of what you shoot, it's the memories that the camera creates and you will NEVER forget. The great think is, you never know when it may happen, like my unpredictable shower , you just think WOW..., or 'what happened then', serendipity. You cannot predict or creat them, they just happen.

And you were happy with 12.1million px, now you have a whopping 45mpx.

So, when you have the time LOL, get out there and shoot your heart out, easier said than done, but who knows you might just make another 2013 image in '24!!!!!

You know I'm stoke from this trip and what's come from it, so come on, make your very limited time count, each time you get the opportunity.
    Gabriela Plesea

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela,

A stunning image of a truly magnificent beast. Wow! It looks fantastic!

There is so much to love - that very focussed look, clear determined eye, dried blood on the forehead and the beautiful mane. And the soft grasses in the foreground.

I heartily agree that it isn't just the images we make but the memories and sense of being there that makes photography so very rewarding. AI will never replace that!

Thanks and best wishes, Gerald

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Gerald,

Such a pleasure to hear from you, always.
    You are absolutely right, it's all about the memories and having been there to experience and capture special moments

Hope you have a wonderful week-end,

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ... a killer image of the gorgeous Kalahari Lions !!!
    Love the setting .... and the overall presentation of this lovely looking specimen !!
    The softness in the grass and the contrasting power of the King .... lovely

Depending on the individual .... I would expect a darker mane in the darker parts . One of the things why I do love the Kalahari / Etosha Lions .... more than any other Lion from other regions .

Polentswa is a stunning area of the park .... I enjoyed the time there . A lot has changed over the years and the Transfrontier Park is not as good as it was in the past .... when I have been there in the early 2000 `s . Camping almost alone in all three main camps ... .... no tar road to the park . Well well .... have not been there since 2014 . Maybe one day ... but guess I will be shocked . Just following some YouTube folks ... and see the changes that took place . But for sure still a great place .

Cracking shot !!!!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Andreas,

Miss the Kalahari tremendously... but at the same time I think I know what it's going to be like, going back. More people, more cars, more everything...Yet the place is still stunning and wildlife is humbly accepting those inquisitive noisy human beings...I'll go prepared, knowing it's not going to be the same.

If you want to see a darker mane here is link to my first post on BPN in 2013 :https://www.birdphotographers.net/fo...ion-and-Action

Talking about Polenstwa, you cannot find a spot these days. But I'll still go there and pay my respects to the man who put the first camera in my hands and taught me about photography and wildlife.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post

If you want to see a darker mane here is link to my first post on BPN in 2013 :https://www.birdphotographers.net/fo...ion-and-Action

I had a look .... again at the old file , apart from the somewhat quite dense looking blacks . I would rather take the older version with way more impact .... IMHO .
    It does remind me to the good " old Velvia " times .... back in the slide film times , when that film was the way to go for nature photography .
    When I look at today's posted images ( including mine ) ... they do remind me to Fuji Sensia , low contrast and dull colors .... compared to the Velvia . But things and thinking is changing all the time ... which is ok and exciting , but sometimes I enjoy and miss the old times . Remembering during my first trip to SA , meeting some photographers in Kalahari .... talking the typical photographer blabla , most of them were using a warming filter in their long glasses . From today's view ( at least for me ) a WB nightmare ....
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 06-21-2024 at 01:49 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    I had a look .... again at the old file , apart from the somewhat quite dense looking blacks . I would rather take the older version with way more impact .... IMHO .
    Cool, I'll have another look at this recent one when I get time but if it comes back it certainly won't have a frame or a strong signature...
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well it couldn't be better for me! My favourite animal and beautifully presented

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jon,

Thank you so much for kind comments. Cannot wait to go to the Kalahari again, looking forward to some lovely sightings and yes...some cleaner backgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Well it couldn't be better for me! My favourite animal and beautifully presented
    Gabriela Plesea