Thread: Singin Away

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Singin Away

Name:  20240615-Lazuli-Bunting-darkBKG-Brian-Sump-_SR68887-CR3-2-Edit-CROP2-SHARPEN-v7.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  558.7 KB

Had a nice time with this male Lazuli Bunting in the foothills of Colorado at about 6400 ft elevation. It was very early light a bit after sunrise.

They respond nicely to audio and I love that they come to visit every summer. A few more to come...

Canon R5
    840mm
    HH
    ISO 2500
    1/1600
    f5.6

LR and PS.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Super shot very different, I would certaily pull the highlights down - there is a big improvement in colour and detail. (The throat and chest appear to be clipped.)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Super shot very different, I would certaily pull the highlights down - there is a big improvement in colour and detail. (The throat and chest appear to be clipped.)
    Thanks for the comments Jon. All whites are in the low-mid 240s and whites definitely were not clipped in the orig capture.

Did you pull it in and look and find something specific? Guess I'm not following your suggestion.

I do agree it appears they are bright with the dark background, and that's an effect you get with nice early light for sure.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian ... what a lovely looking bird , cool singing pose and the perch is fitting very well IMHO .
    Very cool stark contrast , making the subject jumping right in my face ... so to speak . Overall colors looking quite pleasing with the warmth in front and the cooler color tone in the shadow BG .
    Comp is thoughtful chosen ....
    My first thought when looking at the image was like Jon ... well almost ... nothing is clipped in the luminosity , but the red channel is blown in the chest .
    Personally I would run some channel blending to get more depth in the very bright chest and breast .... but if you think it does look good for you fine.

Regardless of my thoughts a super frame of a cool looking bird , apart from our KF .... we have nothing comparable here .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Brian:
    Did you pull it in and look and find something specific? Guess I'm not following your suggestion.
    I downloaded and cked with levels much of the neck and chest was pinging red, I tried a variety of things but using curves set to 4-6 highlights with TK seemed to bring it down well. I also played with simple levels and luminosity setings and really it boiled down to make a little less bright/light and more detail was revealed.
    I presume this high highlights has occurred at the point of conversion of your TIFF to jpeg.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon and Andreas, after further inspection of the final image I do see the reds clipped.

I’m stumped as the reds were not saturated until 245 in the pre-export histogram check. It’s honestly beyond me how they would jump 10+ points after export. Candidly, I never check my jpegs afterward.

Well, here’s an adjusted version for now.

Name:  20240615-Lazuli-Bunting-darkBKG-Brian-Sump-_SR68887-CR3-2-Edit-CROP2-SHARPEN-v12-corr.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  586.2 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pane 6 looks better to me Brian.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Amigo ... RP does look better !!
    Purely personal taste , I would drive it further ....
    But hey it is just me

Cheers Andreas