Thank You Posts

Default Too-Wet Too-Woo

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon R6
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 at 560mm
    f/5.6
    1/1000
    ISO 3200

This is one from a set up, where a mouse was used as bait, to attract a Sparrowhawk, which is a regular visitor. I was surprised when the Tawny Owl arrived as it very rare to see them in daylight hours. I can only assume it was feeding chicks at the time, and was getting a 'free' meal to take to the nest. The title refers to the call when you hear them during darkness To whit to woo. It had been heavy rain, and as you can see most of the feathers are wet. Gimbal Head from a hide. ACR and PS. This is about 70% of the original frame.

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will, is this at Alans, if time allowed I might have got you to go to a friend of mine on route home, as they are a lot closer,

Have you, or did you think about a looser crop as an alternative, personally I find it a bit big in frame? Being wet, the sharpening is a bit coarse to me, perhaps backing off and slightly contrasty in appearance. The sharpening might be compounded by the NR applied, just a thought??? I would also try and get some more tonal range into the perch, slightly darker in the lighter parts, I think it jars slightly with the subject.

In an ideal world having it perched with the feet visible at the front would have been cool. Just watch lighten the eyes and you should have more of that pink ring around the eyes.

Colours look faithful. Will if you HL the BKG and tweak the colours, dehaze/clarity you can get a bit more interest into the backdrop which I think adds, the plain green is just a bit flat, as per my comment to Jon too, I just think tonally it helps.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.