Thread: Buzzard

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Buzzard

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...
    the Buzzard is no longer coming to " my rudimental set up " , for whatever reason . Is still in the area , I can see him flying ... even landing or roosting in the surrounding trees . But he does not want to come down ...
    So here is an older image with my wide angle trials ....
    No control over the exposure ... as no influence on the light and arrival , just the cam trap that tells the camera too shoot once something is breaking the infrared signal
    Image was exposed too dark

Canon EOS R 6 II
    EF 24 - 105 at35 mm
    Tripod
    Cam trap

F 6,3 ; Iso 2500 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed with DT 4.8.1 and PSCC 2024 ; slight crop from RHS and Top

Thanks for watching and commeting to my previous postings

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice catch, I am glad there is foliage behind the bird.
    On a different note, not sure how I feel about using camera traps in general. Not for ethical reasons naturally, more from the perspective of not being there to be in full control of the capture.

I will have to trawl through many pages of images to see some other shots you did of this beauty.

TFS

Lifetime Member Michael Gerald-Yamasaki's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ooo. The talons and the eyes. Very cool. The bright background doesn't work for me. I have to search for the left side head against the foliage. At first glance the perch is first to my eye for the sharp contrast in texture and tone across the image. It has me thinking too bad the bottom branch is clipped.
    You've captured the power of this bird. TFS

-Michael-

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Akos and Michael for your feedback/ comments much appreciated .

Yes these guys are very skittish , the slightest visible movement with the lens and/or me in the mobile hide is spooking the Buzzard off . Might be different at long established hides ... i have no idea . I just have shot Raptors in foreign countries from vehicles , i do have actually no experience shooting them from hides ,.

@ Akos ... i am fully with you about the usage of cam trap and the minimal control of what´s going during capture , but hey it is just a playing option for me . I used it mainly to find out when the subject do arrive at the set up , if i can find a repeating behavior pattern . Plus to get wide angle shots . The whole thing is ongoing fun experiment , i do hope for the winter ... maybe a better time to get Buzzard to my set up .

@ Michael ... might not fit everybody´s taste with the quite detailed BG , no worries . But when using a wide angle this is ( at least at that location ) unavoidable , i do actually like it . But for sure not the best image on planet earth .... Nevertheless i do share to show the different things and approaches i am trying to work on .
    At least you like some parts of it , which is great

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas I like the image, colours and details good.................have you tried a little lens blur in ACR - don't cringe! Try a little it can smooth the background effectively if not overdone.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas. Something different for sure. Nice colours and detail throughout. Good pose and HA. I hear you regarding using the set up to find out more about the behaviour of the Buzzard. I was chatting to the owner of the last Buzzard set up I was at. Good guy, knows what he is talking about. He said it took around 6 - 9 months to get the Buzzard to come in, on an almost daily basis. He uses dead feral pigeon for bait. When I was there the Buzzard arrived and gave a good show, jumping from perch to perch etc. It stayed for about 20 mins eating the pigeon. The set up is surrounded by tall trees, and sometimes the Buzzard would perch at the top, and remain there for around 10 mins before flying down. Sometimes 2 buzzards would fly in and fight over the food. The woodland birds on the feeders never really bothered about the presence of the Buzzard. The Red Squirrels were quick to run off. Also, a Goshawk has come in a few times recently.

I hope it all works out. Patience is a virtue.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Andreas, wow, the image and perch almost look surreal. The way they pop so much off of the bkg is pretty cool.

The only suggestion I could make is to let us see the bottom of the perch with a little bit below it. Hopefully you have that to work with.

Love the detail in the subject, head, feet, etc. A very nice frame!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon , Will and Brian for your kind comments , much appreciated .

@ Jon ... no I have not tried to smooth the BG in any form , might try it with the possible next image

@ Will ... yes it does take time to find out , for 5 days in a row there seem to be a juvenile coming to the perch . Yesterday I got some crappy shots .... due to the camera info he was sitting there for about 20 mins resting and feeding . Will try this afternoon to sit in my hide and see if he comes ....

@ Brian ... sadly I do not have the bottom of the perch , I have gone tighter without noticing while made the camera set up .... as said before , I am just in a learning process .

Cheers Andreas