Thread: EVf/rear LCD screen R3 - matching brightness

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default EVf/rear LCD screen R3 - matching brightness

So, I am having some issues with the R3.

1. Even with the EVF histogram showing no creeping to the Right hand side, I have blinkies telling me that areas of the image are overexposed.
    2. Trying to balance the brightness of the EVF to the brightness of the rear LCD screen so that I can accurately determine exposure.

What is the best way to approach solving these issues? I have asked Canon and was told to balance by eye. Surely there is a better way?

My shooting process in the field is relatively simple - I have a starting exposure settings for a given lighting condition. I adjust in the field as required, keeping an on on the EVF histogram to avoid creeping onto the Right, and using ETTR where possible (in some shooting conditions like the dark rainforest canopy, even wide open and as slow as I can shoot at ISO25600, I am still underexposed and there's not much I can do about it) and also judging exposure by the EVF view. I typically use the EVF for exposure and composition, and check the rear LCD screen for sharpness and composition accuracy. What appears good in the EVF is appearing dark on the rear LCD screen.

I guess that I will need to set up a bunch of test shots in a neutral shooting location (not in bright outdoors where it affects the rear LCD screen) and simply play with the brightness of the EVF and rear LCD screen and then compare to the image on my laptop (manually calibrated, don't have the money for a calibration tool at this point of time).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't think there is a way to adjust those to match exactly, except, as Canon said, to eyeball it to personal preference. Unless there is a way that I have not come across yet. I'd do this adjustment indoors in a dimly lit room for the closest possible match. Blinkies are a great tool, glad you got them turned on. Between that and the histogram you should be getting the correct exposures every time even if the LCD is not calibrated perfectly. I sure hope Canon is going to give us zebras for stills soon - that would be excellent!

3. Thanks Dave Pastern thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

this article I wrote a while back should answer your first question

https://arihazeghiphotography.com/bl...d-photography/
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog