Thread: Brown rat

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Brown rat

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held image captured from a hide, the rat was as you might guess scavenging around for spilt bird seed and nuts.

OM-1 OM 150-400mm F4.5 TC
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 918.0mm
    ISO Sensitivity : 10000
    Shutter : 1/3200 sec
    F.No. : F5.6
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV

ACR/PSCC

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well Jon ... person ally I do not think this is the hottest subject on planet earth , that might be down to the rats massive appearance in parts of the world where we do not really like them .
    So trying to look at it as neutral as possible ...
    I do like the image design with the curved tree stump and the subject seems to peek over it ...
    Nice structure in the stump following the curved outline ... subject is sweet with nice. details . Eyes do look very good
    Tones are solid good ... overall kind of realistic flat , personally I would burn the stump , the subject .... but lighten the BG .
    Color wise ... well there is a lot of cyan/ green in the fur .... that I would address .
    A touch more NR to the BG would not hurt ... noise quite obvious in the monotony of it .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, only when you mention it do I notice some noise in the background. The rat looks OK to me, I cant see cyan/green. Part of the stump was darkened but as you say maybe some more would have been good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Your call Jon ... about the color , to me the cyan/blue/green is quite obvious ... proven by the color reading

I just corrected the cast ....in the subject and at reduced opacity in the stump

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, different and I quite like the inquisitiveness od the Rodent, but personally I hate them and the Kestrel site is awash with them. Will need to take something to irradiate them.

As the subject appears grey I'm surprised you couldn't get a more neutral reading but I feel a tad of Temp, Tint and reduce the blue and you are there. I would also try a 16x10 using FF width.

The noise in the BKG wouldn't print.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, I see the difference, I really don't get why my white point was different because I took it of the rat also.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agreed Steve but regarding the rats how do you poisen them specifically? I suppose trapping them is a practicality.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Thanks Andreas, I see the difference, I really don't get why my white point was different because I took it of the rat also.
    Not sure why you are not getting the WHITE BALANCE .... " right " . Regardless of my chosen WB in the raw conversion ... I do create color sampler points( 11x11 size ) in color critical image areas , to control the color values in the specific areas as the first step once the image is open in PS . They do stay for the whole time until it is saved as TIF or even the jpeg for web . If something is off or goes off .... during processing I can see it on the fly , albeit it might be not that obvious for my eyes in the first place . I rather trust the color samples than my eyes !!! I bet you do not have that kind of habit .... to me it is quite an easy solution for permanent color control . Everything that goes wrong can immediately be corrected , if one likes to correct it . IN the end a matter of taste and willing to work that way .
    Maybe you can try to implement it in your WF

Just a thought

Cheers Andreas