BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Artie
This always has been......and probably always will be my favorite image of yours. If someone mentions your name.......this is the image that comes to mind. It is an amazing image.....from the dramatic light to the title. All I can do is......drool all over my laptop.

Truly a spectacular 4000th image Artie! Congratulations and thanks for being the driving force behind making BPN the finest nature/wildlife photography website on the internet!

Ah, yes...that instantly recognizable classic of yours! Who could get tired of this image?? Thanks for helping make this site the go-to one for improving one's nature photography and post-processing skills (it ain't just birds, right!!) :)

The only thing I don't like about this photo is the fact it's not in my portfolio. Congrats

Fantastic photo Artie, what a dramatic atmosphere you have captured here. I would not be surprised if you have or will win a grand prize with this image!

First off thanks to all for their kind words, especially those related to BPN of which I am so proud. This image was honored in the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year Competition about six years ago--no big prize, a highly commended or something like that. A few years ago, it did, however, garner a huge honor. It was the cover art for "Light on the Earth," a compilation of 20 years of winning images from the Competition. (We bought five boxes of 20 and still have a few copies left.)

But here is the most amazing part. Though this was the best single image of from four boxes of slides, I viewed (and still do to some degree) that morning as a failure. Seems incomprehensible, but it is true and here is the whole story:

The geese were simply covered with ground fog, good old plain old white ground fog. The sun hit the horizon and voila, fire in the mist. This occurred less than three weeks after I had lost my wife Elaine to breast cancer (so it was early December 1994). I had an IPT with one woman attending. I remember telling her, "shoot! shoot!" as the scene unfolded before us. I finished a roll of the birds just sitting in the water bathed in the amazing light. With ten frames left, I had to decide, wait for a blast-off or finish the roll. I finished the second roll. Third roll; same choice. Finished that roll. Fourth roll; same choice; finished that roll. Bad, bad, bad decision. With the film in my hand I heard a noise like a speeding train as about 15,000 birds took off through the amazing light. I was distraught at the time. But now I am a lover of what is. :) :) :)

ps: I have always felt that the landing bird we too close to the center, but it worked perfectly for the Light on the Earth cover as they folded back the right 1/4 of the image for the inside jacket and thus the bird did finally wind up on the rule of thirds spot... You gotta love it!

Artie,
This is an amazing shot. Narrative comes from the heart. Thanks for sharing. I had seen this shot earlier when I was gifted your original ABAP. However, can't get tired of this one.

Cheers
Sabyasachi

Latest posts

Back