Thread: Photoshop CS5

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Photoshop CS5

Just got an email from Adobe that CS5 is now available for download.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Mine is downloading as I type this; 87% to go!
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Let me know what you guys think of it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

On the Mac, Noise Ninja doesn't have a compatible plug-in yet. Neither does Photokit Sharpener.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm trying the trial version now on the Mac. Not sure if it's running in 64-bit mode though. About Photoshop shows I'm running version 12 x32 (32-bit??)

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by John Chardine View Post
    I'm trying the trial version now on the Mac. Not sure if it's running in 64-bit mode though. About Photoshop shows I'm running version 12 x32 (32-bit??)
    You can check the activity monitor if it runs at 64 bit. You have Snow Leopard, right?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Axel Snow Leopard. I looked at Activity Monitor but couldn't see anywhere it said 64-bit against the Photoshop CS5 process.

Axel Hildebrandt

Yes Axel Snow Leopard. I looked at Activity Monitor but couldn't see anywhere it said 64-bit against the Photoshop CS5 process.
    If Photoshop is running, you should see either 32 or 64 bit in the Activity Monitor in the Photoshop line.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Axel- In Activity Monitor it's just saying Intel, not Intel 64 bit. Also the Get Info window shows no option to run in 32-bit mode, which you uncheck to run in 64-bit mode.

I'm not sure why but my demo version of Photoshop CS5 on my MacBook 2.0 ghz Intel Core Duo with 2-gigs of ram looks like it installed as 32-bit and I can't see anywhere to switch it. Oh yes I'm running the latest version of Snow Leopard.

Any help would be appreciated, although it seems to be pretty snappy at 32-bit and maybe with 2 gigs of ram, 64-bit would not be a big difference?

Axel Hildebrandt

If it says Intel only, then it runs in 32 bit mode. I'm not sure what the minimum requirements for 64 bit are, maybe it needs more than 2GB RAM.

Have you checked the Performance options in Preferences?
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 04-30-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

On the full version, when you go to Get Info, there's a checkbox that says Open in 32-bit mode. It's unchecked on my installation.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Brown View Post
    On the full version, when you go to Get Info, there's a checkbox that says Open in 32-bit mode. It's unchecked on my installation.
    Maybe this means that the trial version does not offer 64-bit as the 32-bit checkbox is not available in John's Get Info window. It this were true it would be another annoying Adobe thing like supporting new cameras in the most recent version only.

Michael Pancier

I thought that the mac version would not run in 64 bit due to the continuing war between adobe and apple. I pre-ordered mine for delivery but no email yet. Let me know if any other plug ins have issues with the upgrade.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pancier View Post
    I thought that the mac version would not run in 64 bit due to the continuing war between adobe and apple. I pre-ordered mine for delivery but no email yet. Let me know if any other plug ins have issues with the upgrade.
    I think these were just rumors in the blogosphere.

I would be interested if Viveza works in CS5.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Could be Michael. I'll phone Adobe today and find out. Apple should just buy Adobe and be done with it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    I think these were just rumors in the blogosphere.

I would be interested if Viveza works in CS5.
    I think the war is real Axel. Adobe refuses for whatever reason to produce a Flash player that works on iPod, iPhone and iPad and Adobe was the last major software developer to produce a version of Photoshop for OSX when Apple transitioned from System 9. I can't remember how quick they were to get an Intel for Mac version out. And the funky things Adobe does to the GUI when browsing the Adobe web site cannot must bug Apple no end.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I finally made the plunge and purchased PS CS5 but I am having trouble downloading. Tried dozens of times since yesterday afternoon and the download typically stalls around 85 - 95%. Pausing the download sends it into an eternal spin. It's as if the connection to the Adobe server is timing out.

Anyone else? Any ideas? Thanks, JR

Threads
    Thank You Posts

CS5 for Mac is 64 bit.
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Axel Hildebrandt

I think the war is real Axel. Adobe refuses for whatever reason to produce a Flash player that works on iPod, iPhone and iPad and Adobe was the last major software developer to produce a version of Photoshop for OSX when Apple transitioned from System 9. I can't remember how quick they were to get an Intel for Mac version out. And the funky things Adobe does to the GUI when browsing the Adobe web site cannot must bug Apple no end.
    I know that there is some bickering, but CS5 for Mac is a 64-bit application. The Adobe website really is awkward. Scrolling with finger swipes does not work, which makes it look like a web browser that is 10 years old. :)

Alfred Forns

I got mine ordered from Adobe, call on the phone, and it is 64 bit .. should be shipping next week !! ... do remember will only run on Snow Leopard (in 64)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Found out from one of the Adobe forums that the original Intel Core Duo is a 32-bit processor. Oh well! Despite this I am noticing that CS5 is snappy including the startup.

Axel Hildebrandt

Found out from one of the Adobe forums that the original Intel Core Duo is a 32-bit processor. Oh well! Despite this I am noticing that CS5 is snappy including the startup.
    Sounds like a great excuse to get a new MacBook Pro with i7 processor and 8GB memory. :)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree Axel, although I don't think She Who Must Be Obeyed would see it quite that way.

Axel Hildebrandt

I agree Axel, although I don't think She Who Must Be Obeyed would see it quite that way.
    You could tell her that her computer is too old and that you could generously give her yours. :)

Rene A

Installed CS5 Extend yesterday 32 & 64 bit version.

I played around with the Raw converter. the noise remover function works great

the 'healing' tool and the content aware button is great.:)

we will see a lot less twigs in the future.:)

Michael Pancier

Does anyone know yet if the nik plug ins work with CS 5? I was just billed for the software, so I should be receiving in the next few days.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pancier View Post
    Does anyone know yet if the nik plug ins work with CS 5? I was just billed for the software, so I should be receiving in the next few days.
    Viveza won't work in 64-bit mode, the update is expected sometime 'mid-year', too bad Nik Software is a bit behind the curve: http://www.niksoftware.com/support/u..._answers.shtml
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 05-01-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Viveza won't work in 64-bit mode, the update is expected sometime 'mid-year', too bad Nik Software is a bit behind the curve: http://www.niksoftware.com/support/u..._answers.shtml

For Windows 64-bit Users (XP, Vista, 7): Photoshop CS5 for Windows will continue to run in both 32-bit and 64-bit version. Those using a Windows 64-bit machine will need to continue to use the 32-bit version of Photoshop CS5 (the same as was the case with Photoshop CS4) for all current products, except for Viveza 2, which is fully compatible with both 32 and 64-bit versions of Photoshop.

Alex, this quote from the Nik site suggests that the only Nik product that will run in 64-bit CS5 is Viveza 2.

Has anyone tested Viveza 2 and 64bit CS5?
    Cheers, Jay

My Digital Art - "Nature Interpreted" - can now be view at http://www.luvntravlnphotography.com

"Nature Interpreted" - Photography begins with your mind and eyes, and ends with an image representing your vision and your reality of the captured scene; photography exceeds the camera sensor's limitations. Capturing and Processing landscapes and seascapes allows me to express my vision and reality of Nature.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Gould View Post
    Alex, this quote from the Nik site suggests that the only Nik product that will run in 64-bit CS5 is Viveza 2.

Has anyone tested Viveza 2 and 64bit CS5?
    I find their statement a bit vague. Viveza 2 mid-year and no idea about the other plug-ins. I'm surprised that they are so slow, since it's not been a secret that CS5 will be 64-bit for both Windows and Mac.

I don't think Viveza 2 will run at 64-bit at the moment, according to Nik Software you have to start PS in 32-bit mode to use it.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The following link may not resolve John's problem but might still be of interest to some here re 32 vs 64 bit. In short: apparently Snow Leopard by default starts as a "32-bit kernel" and one needs to force it to start in 64 bit mode. Either way it can run 64 bit applications. JR

http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Rockenberger View Post
    The following link may not resolve John's problem but might still be of interest to some here re 32 vs 64 bit. In short: apparently Snow Leopard by default starts as a "32-bit kernel" and one needs to force it to start in 64 bit mode. Either way it can run 64 bit applications. JR

http://macperformanceguide.com/SnowLeopard-64bit.html
    My unibody MacBook Pro runs SL in 64-bit mode without any problems and this way PS is supposedly even a little faster. I haven't done any tests myself, though. There is a nice little freeware program that determines if your computer can run at 64-bit and it also allows you to switch between the two.

Joerg is of course right that CS5 can run in 64-bit mode as long as your computer supports it and regardless whether Snow Leopard runs at 32 or 64-bit

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the war is real Axel. Adobe refuses for whatever reason to produce a Flash player that works on iPod, iPhone and iPad...
    This is not accurate. Apple will not allow those devices to support Flash. Adobe has been trying for years. You can find a lot of info on this debate via Google; of particular interest is a letter posted by Steve Jobs in the last 10 days or so. I would not describe it as a war, though; both seem to have legitimate business reasons behind their positions.

In any event, I installed CS5 over the weekend and tried it out with some shots I took on a pelagic birding trip over the weekend. I have to say that content-aware fill may well be the coolest new photo editing tool since digital photography was invented. Removing unwanted objects from a photo has never been easier.

Axel Hildebrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sloan View Post

In any event, I installed CS5 over the weekend and tried it out with some shots I took on a pelagic birding trip over the weekend. I have to say that content-aware fill may well be the coolest new photo editing tool since digital photography was invented. Removing unwanted objects from a photo has never been easier.
    I just tried out the content-aware fill and agree, the results are quite impressive.

The other interesting tool is puppet warp, I guess one could even change the wing position with it. I bet this is one of the things where people might disagree how far one should go.
    Last edited by Axel Hildebrandt; 05-04-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Art Peslak

The refine edge tool for selections has a cool new feature called edge detection. There is a little brush next to the box that really makes it easy to refine selections around irregular edges such as the feathers.