Thread: Help identifying a Grosbeak in Costa Rica

Cezary Raczko

Question Help identifying a Grosbeak in Costa Rica

Hi All,

I'm a new member of BPN and this is my first post :) I'm going through my 'Unidentified Species' files and I'm hoping that some of the forum members can help me id some of the birds that I've been unable to.

The first bird I'd like help with is below. I was photographing a Rose-breasted Grosbeak male around Carara National Park in Costa Rica and this fellow seemed to be following it. At the time I assumed it must be the female of the species but it does not appear to be the case according to the guide books nor can I match it against any of the other Grosbeak species that occur in the area. Does anyone recognize this species?

Best Regards,

Cezary

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think it looks more like a member of the Finch family. Maybe a Purple Finch or a Rose Finch..

JMHO

Dave

Ron Ridout

Summer Tanager

Cezary Raczko

Wow, that was quick! I think Ron is right on the money. Now that I know what to search for, it does indeed look to be a molting Summer Tanager. And I was sure it was a Grosbeak, goes to show how little i know :p

Thanks guys!

Cezary

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I stand corrected.. I agree with Ron's ID..

Dave

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It actually is a grosbeak; the Piranga tanagers (including Summer and Scarlet) are now in the grosbeak family Cardinalidae.

Cezary Raczko

Thanks Chris, I've actually organized my files according to the IOC list (http://www.worldbirdnames.org/) which shows them as separate families but I can see that the latest Clements shows them under Cardinalidae. Nice to know I was close though :)

Cezary