Tortured Pixels

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Patti Edens

44598pWaterLilyfra.jpg

I selected the water lily and a bit of the lily pad, copied it, pasted it and then threw away the background. Then I used the "Fractal Explorer Orbit Traps" filter on Pixel Bender to create the 5 points on the fractal and I chose 0 for the color alpha so it would have a transparent background. I added a layer behind the fractal and added the center of the water lily in the middle and a radial gradient. Then I added very tiny amounts of bevel and emboss + drop shadow layer style to the fractal layer. Then I added the 4 water lillies and the splatter frame.

Wish I could claim this workflow, but most of it is not mine. I got it from a fellow pixel bender.

Yes, that process is one of those that you have to do while you read it or it would never make sense! I do like the end result, though...looks very "kaleidoscope-ish". Beautiful colors in this - the frame works very nicely as well!

Patti, I had to re-read your work flow. Very cool! I like the subtle drop shadow. I might fix the stem on the one lily on the lower right (very minor and not really necessary). It has a nice artistic look. I really like the splattered frame. Nice work and thanks for sharing the step by step.:)

I appreciate all of the looks and comments.
Steve, Thanks, it is a MB for sure. Especially the fractal filter - too much math.
Julie, I agree about that kaleidoscope look. The fractal filter in PB looks more kaleidoscopic than the kaleidoscope filter to me.
Denise, Thanks, I know I should have fixed that stem...got lazy. Can't get anything past you. :O)
Michael, Thanks. I don't usually like frames, but this one needed something. I'm glad you liked it.
Kerry, Wow! You are a fractal master! I don't think there are many people that will recognize the Mandelbrot when they see it. Thanks.
Mark, LOL - How about Italian? Thanks.
Indranil, Thanks. PB is really new to me and a lot of fun.

I really like it! I didn't know you could do that with PB and I thought I'd tried all the filters! I like the edge effect too. How did you do it?

Thanks Judy. I've always been fascinated by fractals and when someone pointed out that there was a filter in PB that actually did fractals, I jumped on it. The edge effect was really, really simple. I just used a soft yellow spatter brush or the dry brush (can't remember now) at about 40% opacity and painted the edges. You probably already know this, but to paint in a straight line, just click at the spot you want to start (a corner in this case) and then Shift click where you want the line to end. I just did that for all four sides and put a couple of lines on each side.

Latest posts

Back