Thread: Wounded in Battle

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wounded in Battle

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the help on my first post. Here's another image I took this year. This Eagle was injured in the wild, rescued, and brought back to health. He now resides at the Brevard County Zoo in central Florida. Despite the handicap of his injuries, he still retains the strength and dignity of these magnificent birds.
    Technical Data - Canon EOS 450D, 300mm, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/60

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dawn- You had a great opportunity to get up close to these amazing birds! You have some nice detail in the neck feathers but it looks like the ones on top are hot. I wonder if they are recoverable in your RAW converter? The bird is looking into the short side of the image- are you able to add more space that side? It would have been ideal if the head were rotated CW to give a better head angle and better eye contact.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I couldn't bring the highlights totally under control, but I think this is better. I also changed the cropping to provide more space to the right.

Lance Peters

Hi Dawn - the repost does improve the blown highlights a little - make sure you have your over exposure warnings turned on in-camera and make use of your histogram to check your exposure. Lots of articles in the educational resources forum on saving the whites.
    Some additional sharpening to the bird only also could improve this a little - would have preferred a little bit of a head turn towards you.
    Keep em coming :)