Thread: Anna's Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Anna's Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed this little hummer in our garden this morning.

Comments always appreciated

Gus

Olympus E-3, Zuiko ED 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD @ 400mm, Gitzo monopod

AP: F/5.6, 1/400s, ISO 100, -1.00eV, sRGB, CWA, AWB

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd be extremely happy with a shot like that. Sharp body, great movement in the wings, great catchlight in the eye.

What did you try to clone out of the background? Seems to be some nasty PP leftovers there.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image. Just the right amount of wing blur to infer motion and still provide some detail. Well done. Might consider more of a horizonatl crop on this one. If I scroll my screen to cut-off the image a distance above the bill equal to the bottom of the frame below the tail it looks really nice to me. Since there's no bloom coming in from the right I don't think the extra negative space above the bird really adds anything to the composition. My 2 cents.

Julie Kenward

Gus, you're really getting good at these hummer images! I also see some problems in the BG - might want to go back and clean that up a bit more. I also think a bit off the negative side of the frame would be a better balance. I like where the bird is - just don't think he needs quite so much room to "fly into".

Super job on the ss...you've got such a beautiful mix of motion and stillness here!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Folks

Yep! it looks better without all that space to fly in. Actuallyu, Hummingbirds never fly in a stright line around our garden, they zig & zag all the time. With my 86 year old peepers supposedly fixed after 12 months healing sometimes can't see what I should. Good thing we don't post sound as my ears are even worse.

Thanks a lot for all your comments and suggestions.

Keep smiling

Gus

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gus, she is gorgeous! great detail in the head and body and the blurred wings are perfect. And she is definitely keeping her eye on you. I kind of like the first crop better, what folk are saying makes sense, but the second one just feels a little too tight.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beautiful little hummer! BG is very nice too. I like the first crop better, or maybe something between the two. She seems to be looking right out of the frame in this one.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful hummingbird, I agree with the post above in that a crop in between the two might be a better option. Maybe pull in the right side but leave the top and a little touch up on the background.